6. Wands, dragons and hugs (oh my!)

“Okay, first stop Ollivander’s wand shop!” Severus declared, walking forward, under the archway.

Kiley was still looking around when they came to the shop. They walked in and where greeted immediately by an old man with white hair and spectacles.

“Greetings Severus and Harry! How are you this fine day?” he asked, not glancing up from whatever he was doing. Then he looked up sharply and zeroed in on Kiley.

“And who have we here?” he asked, coming out from behind his desk.

“My name is Kiley Ri………. Snape. Kiley Snape.” She said, glancing at Harry to see if he caught her mistake. He wasn’t even paying attention to her. He was looking around at all the strange stuff that was in Mr. Ollivander’s shop.

“Well, Kiley I see that we need to find you a wand. Is that correct?”

“Yes it is, sir.”

“Very good, very good!” the old man cried, clapping his hands together. He adjusted his spectacles and turned around, looking through different boxes. Finally he picked a black box out of a pile of green ones and turned back to Kiley, a confident smile on his face.

“I don’t know what this wand is, but I have a feeling that it’s right.” He took it out and studied it, his face growing surprised. He then handed the wand to Kiley and as soon as she gripped it, it glowed a fire red color.

“Well, then. 12 inches, Holly wood. The core being Runespoor Fang. Interesting.” He said, looking at Kiley with a puzzled look.

Severus had gone pale white. Harry was looking at Ollivander with interest.

“Pardon me, sir, but what is a Runespoor Fang?” Harry asked, taking the wand to examine it.

“It’s the fang of a very dark beast. It’s only meant to go into the wands of people who deal with very dark magic…… which is why I wonder……” Ollivander said, looking at Kiley intently. She gulped, growing nervous under the stare of this strange man.

“Well, I think we must be going!!! How much is the wand?” Severus asked quickly, snatching up both wand and box.

Ollivander turned his gaze to Severus and said, “10 galleons,”

Severus pulled out a purse and handed over the galleons quickly.

When they got outside Kiley held the box under her arm and said, “Severus, I could have paid for that.”

“But you don’t have your money with you.” Severus said simply, shoving the purse back into his pocket. He was still shaken from what had gone on in the shop. Dark magic? What, was his daughter going to become a Death Eater? He would never allow it. But then again, Lord Voldemort would…..

“True,” Kiley sighed. Severus was walking briskly in the direction of Gringott’s, knowing that he had to shake off this feeling of dread or Kiley would want to know what was wrong.

Harry was still puzzled over the wand too. A very dark beast? Very dark magic? He looked at his girlfriend, wondering what all she hadn’t, or couldn’t for that matter, tell him.

“Where are we going now, Severus?” Kiley asked, trying to keep up with him.

“Gringott’s,” he smiled, pointing towards the biggest building in Diagon Alley. Kiley looked at the place he was pointing to and shuttered. She didn’t know why, but she had a bad feeling about that place.

Harry noticed her shutter and looked at Gringott’s. He had that same feeling too.

Kiley took the wand out of its box and examined it closely. It was a dark shade of Holly, almost black. It was rounded, and the handle had intricate Celtic looking symbols etched into the wood. The wand was perfect for her.

They walked into Gringott’s and Kiley was overcome. It was beautiful! The ceiling was so high, a giant could fit in the building easily! The chandeliers where beautiful, looking like they where carved from diamond and gold. The place was crowded with witches, wizards, and every magical creature alike, including some very unhappy looking goblins.

Severus walked up to one of the unhappy goblins and Kiley got a good look at it. It looked quiet scary actually. All of its teeth where pointed and there was basically too much skin to fit its face.

“And does Miss Snape have a key?” the goblin asked in a very snide, very nasally voice. Kiley nodded and pulled forth a golden key that was in the shape of a snake. The goblin took one look at it and gasped. He fell off its chair a little bit before composing itself. He looked from Severus to Kiley to Harry, his ugly face stretched into a look of disbelief. Kiley looked at the key, frowning. This was the key she always gave her father whenever he needed to access the vaults. What was wrong with it?

“Right, right this way, please!” the goblin squeaked, jumping out of his chair and running to a door. Kiley looked at Severus in astonishment, but he just shook his head. None of this was going to plan. He should have known that the key would be a dead give away!

The trio got onto a little roller cart, the goblin that was assisting them earlier having brought it around. He lit a lamp and when they where all settled in, he started it, making it go down deeper into vaults. They went a pretty long ways down until the came to an only door. It was giant, with snakes carved into the door and around the wall. A very big snake was resting in the corner, sleeping soundly.

“You may open the vault when you like, mistress.” The goblin said, looking at the snake warily.

Mistress? Kiley thought as she walked to the vault. “Harry, could you stay here with Mr., Mr.….”

“Snarkhorn,” the goblin squeaked, the snake having moved a fraction of an inch.

“Ah yes, could you stay behind with Mr. Snarkhorn, Harry?”

Harry nodded and Kiley smiled at him. She went over to the door and inserted the key, turning it slowly in its lock. She heard an audible click, and the snakes began to wiggle and move as the door opened slowly. Kiley stepped into the vault with Severus behind her. There was another door up ahead with no key hole.

“Do you know how I get in, Severus?” she asked, having pushed on the door in a futile attempt to open it.

“Well,” he said, lowering his voice so Harry and the goblin couldn’t hear him, “Your father always used Parstle Tongue.”

“Oh, okay. Easy enough.” Kiley said. Though she was Severus’s daughter, Voldemort had long ago placed inside her the ability to speak Parstle Tongue.

Kiley cleared her throat and opened her mouth, the words just flowing out naturally. “Open

And it opened with an audible creak. Kiley and Severus stepped inside, the door closing softly behind them. Kiley looked at the mounds of gold that where piled everywhere.

“How much do you think I’ll need, Severus?” she asked, picking up a handful and letting them filter through her fingers.

“I’d say about three purse fulls. Who can always come back and get more when you run out.”

Kiley nodded and began to fill the purses.

“Severus,” Kiley asked as she filled each purse, “does that goblin know who I am?”

“I think so,” Severus said quietly, glancing back at the closed door.

“How?” she asked quietly. She finished filling up the bags. She gave them to Severus and he shoved them into his pockets.

“It was the key. Your father uses it all the time. The goblins have come to fear that key.” Severus said simply.

“Oh,” she said, walking back towards the door.

Severus followed behind her, glancing at a separate vault across the room, a vault that Kiley hadn’t seen. Severus knew what was in that vault. It was something that was of great value to Severus himself. It was Kiley’s original birth certificate, the one that said Kiley Severus Snape, not Kiley Tom Riddle.

Kiley opened the door and stepped out, walking to the other door. Walking out that one she climbed into the little roller cart with Harry. Harry put his arm around her shoulders and she smiled up at him. He smiled back, wondering how she could use Parstle Tongue. Yes he had seen and heard. Right after that his mind connected with Voldemort’s. Voldemort was pretty upset about something, Harry could tell. All Harry knew was that he was upset with one person, and that person was out of his reach. Harry shuddered to think of whomever it was Voldemort was mad at. Hope they live, was all Harry could think.

When Severus walked out of the vault and climbed into the cart the goblin booked it, sending the top half of their bodies into the seat in front of them.

“Ow,” Harry said, rubbing his forehead. Severus cursed softly under his breathe as he rubbed the spot between his eyes. Kiley just laughed.

When they where out of the vaults, they thanked the goblin, who was obviously very relieved that they where leaving, and headed out into the sunshine.

“That goblin sure was glad that we left,” Harry commented as they walked into a robe store. Kiley nodded in agreement as Severus said,

“I was glad to leave. I hate the vaults.” He shuddered discreetly. The place had always creeped him out, even when he was a child.

When they found some robes and a couple uniforms for Kiley, they headed over to the book shop to get the things that where on the list, and some other books to read. When that was done they proceeded to the pet shop.

“Oh, what a cute little thing!” Kiley exclaimed as soon as she walked in. She ran over to a display case.

“A dragon? You can’t be serious!” Harry exclaimed, walking over to peer into the glass. A little dragon the size of a toddler’s fist was rolling around on the floor, giggling and apparently having the time of its life. Kiley read the little card that was attached to the glass out loud.

“’A miniature Austrian Rainbow. Will only grow to be the size of a regular owl. Perfect for those who don’t want an owl, but want a way to send letters through air.’

That’s wonderful!!! Severus, can I get him? Please?” Kiley asked, running over to Severus who was looking at the kittens.

“What do you want?” he asked, walking over to the display case. His eyes grew wide as he witnessed the baby dragon. “You want a dragon???”

“It only grows to be the size of an ordinary owl!!! Please Severus? I’ll take good care of him!!” Kiley pleaded, looking at him with wide, puppy dog eyes. She had been using that maneuver since she was little.

And could he say no? “Okay, fine. But you’re taking care of it,” of course not! This was his little girl.

Kiley hugged Severus fiercely chanting, “Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!!!”

He laughed and said, “All right, all right! Go get the sales clerk!”

Kiley nodded and ran off, skipping a little as she did.

“Um, professor?” Harry said, looking at Severus warily.

“Yes, Potter?” Severus replied, turning to look at Harry.

“Does she always act like this?” Harry said, looking at the way to hyper girl who was talking to a sales clerk that looked a little bit scared, smiling wistfully.

Severus smiled, not caring that Harry would see him. He turned his gaze back to Kiley. “Yeah, she does. But that’s what makes her so lovable.”

“I know what you mean,” Harry said, sighing wistfully.

Severus looked at Harry thoughtfully. “Do you really love her?”

“Yes, sir, I do.” Harry said, waiting for something to happen.

Severus studied him for a moment. Then he made up his mind. “You do. I believe you.”

“Thank you, sir.” Harry said, surprised at how this conversation had turned. One moment Severus was acting like he detested every little fiber of Harry’s being, the next he’s talking to him like, well, like Sirius did sometimes when they have there tender moments. Like a son.

Kiley came back with the sales clerk and pointed to the dragon saying, “This one, this one right here!” the sales clerk looked at Severus with an exasperated expression.

Severus laughed under his breathe along with Harry. The sales lady picked the dragon up out of the cage gingerly and set it in the palm of Kiley’s outstretched hands.

Kiley looked at the tiny thing. It looked back at Kiley. They stared at each other for a moment, and then the dragon seemed too smile and curled up in the palm of her hand, falling fast asleep.

“Well, he must really like you! I’ve never seen a baby dragon do that before!” the sales clerk said, very astonished. Kiley beamed.

“So, it’s a boy?” she asked, looking at the dragon that was curled in her palm.

“Yup, and he’s going to grow very fast, let me tell you. These types of dragons always grow fast.”

“I’ll take him!” Kiley cried exuberantly.

The clerk nodded and headed towards the check out counter. Kiley, Harry, and Severus trailed after her, Kiley staring at the sleeping dragon in her palm.

When everything was paid for, having bought not only the dragon but also a cat bed for it to sleep in, some cleaning tools, and other items, like chew toys and the like, they walked once more out into the sunshine.

“Okay, we have one more thing to do here,” Severus said, walking towards the broom shop.

“What is it?” Kiley asked, cuddling the little dragon to her cheek. Harry smiled, watching her with happiness.

“Remember how Lucius taught you how to ride a broom?” Severus asked.

Lucius Malfoy? Harry thought in surprise. He was capable of helping people??

“Yeah, he said I was a natural and if I went to Hogwarts I would be a great Quidditch player. What about it?” Kiley said, looking up at Severus. Severus smiled mischievously, walking towards the broom shop.

“Would you like to try out for the team?” Severus asked, opening the door of the shop.

“Sure, I mean that would be cool!” she replied enthusiastically.

“Well, you’ll need a broom then, since he could never get you one,”

Kiley knew who ‘he’ was. Severus was referring to Lord Voldemort. He never wanted Kiley to get a broom of her own, for he feared that she would get it into her head that she could go anywhere.

“Really??” Kiley asked with excitement.

“Really,” Severus smiled and walked over to the broom display. “Which one?”

Kiley ran over to the display case, holding the dragon tight. Harry was right behind her, in shock that Severus Snape was going to do something like this for anyone.

Kiley looked at the collection of brooms, not knowing which one would be the best for her. She turned to Harry with a helpless expression. Harry laughed when he caught the look on her face and leaned down to inspect them.

“How about that one?” she asked, pointing to a black, sleek looking broom that had the bar where you could place your feet on. The tip of the broom was white, but a little index card said that you could color it any color you wanted.

“Then that one it is.” Severus said, walking over to the cashier and telling the lady which one they wanted. She smiled and walked over to the display case, scanning the bar code with a device. She then walked over to the cashier and entered the number into the machine. Walking to the back of the store, she came out with the broom and another device.

“What color?” she asked, pointing the device at the tip of the broom.

“Ummm, red please,” Kiley said, thinking of the Gryffindor colors.

She nodded and pressed a button on the device. The tip changed from white to red instantly.

Severus handed over the money and she wrapped it up, handing it to Severus afterwards.

“Thank you so much!” Kiley said, first giving the dragon to Harry, and then giving Severus a giant hug.

“Your welcome, sweet girl!” he said laughing, hugging her back hard. Then Severus did the unthinkable. It shocked Harry, Kiley, the sales lady, and even the dragon that Harry was holding.