11 : "How many times can I break and not shatter?"

“Did you miss me?” came a snide voice.

Narcissa hit him over the head with her purse and said, “Now, now Draco that is no way to behave. Hello, Kiley dear. How are you doing?” she asked, smiling sweetly.

“I’ve been doing well, Narcissa. What brings you here?” Kiley said, trying very hard not to punch Draco in the nose, who was looking her up and down with a wolfish grin.

“Well, you’ve no doubtedly read the Daily Prophet, I presume. We need a place to stay; it’s as simple as that. Remus was very generous in offering us a place to stay.” Narcissa said, obviously very uncomfortable with the whole situation.

“Well, then come in!” Kiley said, holding the door open and stepping to the side so they could come in.

Draco’s nose immediately turned up when he entered the house. He took a deep breathe, prepared to make some nasty remark when Narcissa hit him over the head again, this time harder.

“You’ll have to forgive my son, he hasn’t been taking the whole break up thing well, and then on top of that his father being thrown into Azkaban….”

“Mother!” Draco cried, his face turning red.

“Hush, Draco.” Narcissa scolded him.

“Well, I’m not sure what room you will be having, so I must hand that over to Jason, Kelly, or Sirius.” Kiley said, a sheepish grin settling on her face.

Narcissa looked visibly startled for a moment, “Sirius is here?”

“Yes, Sirius lives here,” Harry said, finally regaining his senses. He eyed Draco with disdain.

“Oh, well, I wasn’t told that…” Narcissa stuttered.

“Let me go get him,” Kiley said. She walked over to the banister and gripped it, calling up, “Sirius! The last of the guests are here!”

“I’ll be down in a moment!” Sirius called back, sounding frazzled.

Kiley walked back over to Narcissa, Draco, and Harry. Draco and Harry where having a rather childish staring contest, so Kiley turned to Narcissa who was fumbling with her gloves.

“So, how have you been doing, Narcissa?”

“Oh, all right, considering the circumstances and all.” She sighed. “I was surprised to hear that you are going to Hogwarts this year. What house have you been placed in?”

“Gryffindor,” Kiley said, smiling.

“I would have thought Slytherin, but you certainly do have the qualities of a Gryffindor. I would know, I basically was your mother.” Narcissa laughed a tiny laugh.

“And I meant to thank you for that,” Kiley said, giving her a hug.

“It was no problem,” Narcissa mumbled, taken aback by the show of affection, “Bella would never have taken care of you, she never liked children, and I thought since I already had Draco, what harm would come from taking care of you as well? Your father certainly appreciated it,”

“Yes, he did. He’s told me before how much he appreciated it when he had to go teach at Hogwarts and couldn’t be around to help me out when Voldemort wanted me to do the terrible things he normally wanted me to do,” Kiley said, forgetting the fact that Narcissa still thought that Voldemort was her father.

Narcissa pulled back from the hug sharply, “What?” she asked, shock and confusion in her voice.

“Oh, right. Well, there’s been a little mix up with the identity of my father,” Kiley said, a blush creeping over her cheeks delicately. This got Draco and Harry’s attention. They broke of from the staring contest and looked at Kiley. Harry started to rub her back in small circular motions, noticing the amount of stress she was under.

“So, the Dark Lord isn’t your father?” Narcissa asked, her eyes full of confusion.

“No,” Kiley said quietly, wondering how Narcissa was going to react.

“Then who is?” Draco asked, the same look that was on his mothers face on his.

“Severus Snape,” Harry answered for her.

Shock flitted across both their faces. Narcissa’s quickly turned into a thoughtful look though.

“That makes sense, actually. You look much more like Severus than the Dark Lord, and come to think of it, you act like him a lot too,” she said, brushing back a lock of hair that fell into her eyes. “it’s a wonder I never saw it before,”

“Okay, I’ve got the beds set up, so if you two will just follow me, I’ll get you set up straightaway.” Sirius said, coming down the stairs. He paused just a moment when he saw Narcissa and Draco, but he quickly descended the stairs all the same.

“Thank you, Sirius,” Narcissa said, blushing slightly. Kiley looked at her with interest, wondering what that look was for. Draco was wondering the same thing.

Harry didn’t notice the look on Narcissa’s face, because he was to busy looking at Sirius.

“Sirius, are you all right?” Harry asked him.

“Yes, Harry I’m fine.” Sirius said, jerking out of his trance.

He turned around and started to head up the stairs, Narcissa and Draco trailing after him.

“What was that all about?” Kiley asked Harry, her gaze following Narcissa until she was out of sight.

“I have no idea,” Harry said, puzzlement etched onto his face.

“I might be mistaken, but did Narcissa look at Sirius like she was in…………. love?” Kiley turned to Harry with a look of disbelief. “Oh my gosh, do you realize who Kelly looks like?”

“Dear Merlin, do you actually think……….?” Harry breathed, a look of wonder flashing across his face.

“I don’t know what to think anymore. Except for the fact I need to change my clothes,” she said, deliberately changing the subject.

Harry nodded and laughed. “Well, you’ll probably hafta borrow something of Kelly’s, seeing as though we didn’t bring any luggage.”

Kiley grimaced, but nodded all the same. They started to walk upstairs.

They parted when they came to their doors, Harry going into his room and Kiley going into hers.

Severus walked in right after she had, holding a small brown box that looked a lot like her luggage case.

“I brought your clothes and such with me, as well as Harry’s,” he said, placing the box on the ground and making it grow to its normal size. Kiley sighed in relief.

“Thanks, Dad. I didn’t want to wear any of Kelly’s clothes,” she said, opening her trunk and lifting out some clothes.

“Your welcome, Kiley,” Severus said, a tingle running through him when she said Dad.

“Now leave, I hafta change!” she said, pointing to the door. Severus laughed as he walked out.

Kiley closed the door behind him and stripped off the vile pajamas. She pulled on her dark wash skinny jeans, then her dark green undershirt, along with her black, slightly see-through sweater. She slipped her black pumps on, not wanted to walk around bare-foot before opening the door.

Kelly and Draco walked up at the same time and Kiley witnessed for the first time how much they looked alike.

Suddenly Draco and Kelly spotted each other at the same time. Kelly looked him up and down, as well as Draco looked her up and down.

“Jason! This isn’t funny! How many times do you hafta conjure up some image that looks like me but is a boy? And how many times do I hafta tell you I know what I would look like as a boy?!?!” Kelly cried, her tone sounding exasperated. Draco’s mouth fell open, making a slight popping noise.

Jason walked down the hall saying, “I didn’t do that, crazy socks.”

Kelly looked confused, then she poked Draco in the stomach.

“What the bloody……?” Draco asked, rubbing his stomach and looking rather confused.

Kelly yelped, clearly surprised. “How did you do that, Jason? Make the image all solid like and able to talk?”

“Kelly, that’s not a mirage. That’s Draco Malfoy,” Kiley said, walking out of her room. She could tell that Draco was thrown because he didn’t even look at her. “And Draco, that’s Kelly Black, Sirius’s daughter.”

Narcissa came running down the hall at that point. Kiley thought that she would stop when she came in talking distance but she didn’t. Actually she barreled into Kelly, giving her a giant hug, tears streaming down her face.

“Oh, my baby, my baby girl!” she cried, the tears streaming more as she rocked them from side to side, “I can’t believe how much you’ve grown!”

“Um, excuse me, miss, but I really have no idea what’s going on,” Kelly said, trying very hard to breathe. Jason laughed slightly, covering his hand over his mouth.

Harry came out of the room at that point, pulling his shirt down as he witnessed the scene before him. One of his eyebrows shot up as he took in the crying Narcissa and the very confused Draco and Kelly.

“Mom, what’s going on?” Draco asked when she had calmed down slightly.

“This is your sister, Draco! Your sister who I haven’t seen in years and years!” Narcissa cried, hugging her once more.

“Wait, I have a sister?” Draco asked, rather astounded.

“Yes you have a sister!” Narcissa said, laughing a little hysterically.

“Why was I never told this?”

“Because Lucius might have found out!” she cried.

“So what if father found out?” Draco asked, crossing his arms.

“That would have complicated everything to much,” came a grave voice from behind Draco. Everyone but Narcissa and Kelly turned to look at the person who had spoken.

“What do you mean it would have complicated things to much?” Draco asked, clearly confused and put out.

Sirius said nothing. He just hugged Draco tight.

Harry met Kiley’s gaze, a knowing look spreading across his face. Kiley’s eye’s where shining.

“Why are you hugging me???” Draco cried, sounding rather panicked.

“I just haven’t seen you in so long, Draco. I’m sorry. At least I had more self control than your mother,” Sirius said, shooting a look at Narcissa, who was still crying and hugging Kelly. She let go of Kelly then, a sheepish expression crossing her face.

“I’m sorry, Sirius. I just haven’t seen my daughter in so long…… I couldn’t help myself!”

“I know, Cissy. I know. I haven’t seen my son in such a long time either,” Sirius said, his voice quiet. He looked at Draco fondly, his eyes shining with unshed tears.

“WHAT?!?!” Draco screeched. “YOU’RE SON!?!?”

“Yes, Draco. My son.” Sirius said, an amused expression crossing his face.

“He has your temper,” Narcissa said, sighing heavily.

“I can see that,” Sirius said, laughing slightly.

“What are you laughing about?!?! You are not my father!!!! Lucius Malfoy is!!!” Draco cried, throwing his mother a panicked look. She shook her head when she met his gaze and said,

“No, Draco. Lucius is not your father. Sirius is.” She said quietly, bracing herself for what she knew was going to come. Draco did have Sirius’s temper. And Sirius’s temper could be very frightening if you where on the wrong end of it.

Draco looked at Sirius, taking in the look in his eyes, the hopeful look. The look that said, ‘I want to be your father, if you’ll let me.’

“Will you pay attention to me?” he asked quietly, forgetting everyone was in the hallway. “Will you actually care about me, and not dismiss what I have to say? Will you love me like a father is supposed to love his son?” tears began to form in Draco’s eyes as he remembered everything that Lucius had done to him. Everything that had made Draco cry in the middle of the night. He remembered how he felt when his father was sent away to Azkaban, how happy he was to finally be rid of him. Never in a million years would he have thought that he would be doing this, showing the side that only Kiley ever saw of him, the pansy side.

Sirius nodded, tears pooling over his eyes. He hugged Draco tight, and Draco hugged him back. Narcissa started to cry to. She hadn’t expected this from Draco.

“So, I have a brother?” Kelly asked, looking at Narcissa, “and a mother?”

Narcissa nodded. Kelly started to cry to as she took everything in. she had a mother, she had a mother!!!!!!!!!!

“So, wait a bloody minute…….. There’s two of her?!?!” Jason cried, horror stricken.

Everyone laughed at the expression on Jason’s face.

“It’s not funny!!!!! I already have to put up with her,” he cried, pointing to Kelly, “Now I have to put up with another one??!?!”

This made everyone laugh harder.

“Well, I’m hungry!” Sirius proclaimed. He walked down the hall, everyone but Draco and Kiley trailing after him. Harry looked back with a confused glance.

“I forgot something in my room, I’ll be down in a moment!” she called after him. He nodded and eyes Draco warily. Draco was to busy wiping his eyes to notice.

Kiley walked into her room and grabbed her headband, shoving it on top of her head quickly.

She walked out of her room, looking around to see if Draco was still there. He was, but he was leaning against the wall, his eyes closed. She saw that he was still crying.

“Draco, are you all right?” she asked him. Against her better judgment she walked over to him.

“Yeah, yeah I’m fine,” he said, trying to bring back his trade mark smirk. For the first time it failed miserably.

“No, you’re not. Is it about Lucius again?” Kiley asked, remembering the times Draco had come to her crying when they where younger.

“Well, yeah kinda.” He said, staring off into space. “What did I do wrong?” he asked suddenly, his gaze shifting to look at Kiley’s face.

Kiley stared into his grey blue eyes, confused. “What?”

“What did I do wrong, to make you leave me?” Draco said after taking a deep breath. He looked sweetly vulnerable, like a little kid who was being punished and he didn’t know what for.

“You did nothing, Draco.” Kiley said quietly, becoming rather uncomfortable.

“Then why? Why did you leave me for Potter?” he spat the word Potter out like it was rancid on his tongue.

“Because it’s different with Harry. I really don’t know how to describe it, but it was like love at first sight in a way.” She said, shifting from foot to foot slightly.

Downstairs Harry was wondering what was taking Kiley so long, and why Draco hadn’t come downstairs yet. He walked up the stairs quietly, not making a sound. When he entered the hallway he saw that Kiley and Draco where talking, Kiley shifting from foot to foot and Draco crying. Draco was saying something, looking immensely pained, so Harry decided to get closer without being seen.

“I really don’t know how to describe it, bit it was like love at first sight in a way.” He heard. She must be talking about us, Harry thought.

“Kiss me,” Draco whispered. Harry wasn’t sure if he had heard that right. It almost sounded like Draco asked Kiley to kiss him….

“I can’t kiss you, Draco,” she said, sounding pained. The little git had asked her to kiss him!!!!! Harry held his breathe, straining to hear the rest of the conversation.

“Please?” came the broken whisper. Draco, asking please???? Both Harry and Kiley where thrown.

“Draco……” Kiley said, sounding very, very pained. Harry knew she had a weakness for people in pain, and Harry knew that Draco was preying on that. There really was no end to his evil.

“Just one kiss, please? He’ll never know, I swear I won’t tell him. Please?” Draco whispered. A soft sob came from the back of his throat.

Kiley groaned. Harry wondered what she was going to do. She won’t just leave him and walk down the hall, I know that. But will she kiss him? Harry asked himself.

Kiley took a deep breathe and kissed him. Harry’s mouth fell open as he watched Draco’s hand snake up to her hair and entwine his fingers in it. Kiley’s hands stayed limp at her sides. That gave Harry some pleasure. Draco’s other hand came up to the small of her back. He splayed his fingers across it and pressed her against him.

I shouldn’t be doing this, Kiley thought as she kissed Draco. I really shouldn’t be doing this right now. I need to end this.

Draco felt a feeling of triumph wash through his body. So what if Lucius wasn’t his father? He still had gotten everything he knew from the man, and he used it well. This was the perfect moment. He knew all of Kiley’s weaknesses. And he intended to use them. Sure the tears had been genuine at first, but then he seized the opportunity to make Kiley fall back in love with him. Now all he needed was a love potion…..

Suddenly Kiley broke off the kiss. He had been expecting this.

“I’m sorry,” he said, still using that broken whisper voice.

Harry sighed inwardly in relief.

Kiley nodded slightly. She brushed a lock of his hair out of his eyes. “I wish we could be friends at least, Draco. And I’m sorry that we can’t be.” A single tear escaped from her left eye, sliding silently down her cheek.

“Why can’t we?” Draco asked, clutching both of her hands, looking desperate. It was working, his plan was working! He could see the waver in her eyes, see a tiny bit of the way she used to look at him. She took her hands back whispering,

“Because I don’t think you can change,” another tear escaped from her eye as she turned away and silently walked up the next flight of stairs that where at the end of the hall, her heels the only thing that could be heard as they echoed of the walls. Harry stayed put, wishing he could go after her but knowing he would be caught if he did so.

Draco sighed. “Merlin and I was sure it was working to!” he said. He pounded his fist against the wall. “Oh well, I guess I’ll just have to resort to plan B.” he walked down the hall, his hands in his pockets. Harry pressed himself against the wall, hoping he wouldn’t be seen. Draco was too deep in thought to realize Harry was there.

Harry sighed in relief when Draco got to the stairs and walked down them, wiping his eyes as he went. Harry ran up the flight of stairs that Kiley had walked up moments before, hoping to find her. He heard someone crying quietly in one of the rooms. He walked silently, finally coming to a room that looked like it hadn’t been used in a long while. He hesitantly opened the door, putting his head in.

Kiley was sitting on a window bench, looking out onto the street, her arms wrapped around her legs. Her shoes where lying on the floor by the door way, her bare feet had made prints on the dusty floor. She was crying silently now, the tears cascading openly down her face. She looked at the rain that was padding against the window, taking comfort in the small noise. In her left hand she held a locket, the chain wrapped around her hand. The dangling pendent was open, and Harry could see a picture of her and Draco when they where younger at Christmas, smiling and laughing while chasing each other around the man gifts.

Harry walked over to the bench and sat down on the other side. Kiley turned to look at him, a faraway look in her eyes.

“You saw everything, didn’t you?” she asked him. He nodded silently and she sighed.

“I’m sorry,” she whispered, turning her head to look back out the window. She watched a young couple laugh and dance together in the rain, their umbrella’s lay forgotten on the sidewalk.

“Why on earth are you sorry?” Harry asked her quietly.

She looked at him with surprise. “You did see me kiss him, didn’t you?”

“Yes, but I also saw the way he played you.” Harry said, taking the hand that wasn’t holding the pendent.

“I still shouldn’t have kissed him,” she whispered, looking at the rain again. The couple had gone inside. She heard Harry sigh.

“It doesn’t matter that you kissed him. All that matters is that you didn’t fall for it.” Kiley smiled a watery smile.

“So you forgive me?” she asked him.

“There is nothing to forgive, love.” He whispered. She crawled towards him, sitting with her back towards him and his legs around her torso. He hugged her waist and she laid her head back on his shoulder. He propped his left leg up so he wouldn’t fall, his knee bending up in the air. They sat like that for a while, watching the rain pitter patter on the window. Kiley fell asleep against him. He knew from the way she started breathing suddenly. He chuckled lightly.

Harry started to think about all that had happened to him since Kiley came in his life. Before he had thought that he was falling in love with Hermione, his best friend, but now he realized it was nothing. He realized the moment he saw Kiley it was nothing. He looked back at that memory, one of his favorite memories, with giddiness. Kissing her for the first time popped into his mind and he sighed, remembering the complete and total bliss that he was put under as soon as his lips came in contact with hers.

Then Severus Snape jumping up and down like a child, smiling and laughing, filled his vision. Harry smiled, marveling on how she could make anyone do anything.

The memory of her walking down the aisle in the Great Hall, everyone turning to stare at her popped up. He had noticed that more than a few boys checked her out, sending him into protective mode. Even Ron had whistled under his breath. Harry had punched him in the arm and Ron looked up at him with surprise. ‘What was that for? You gotta admit that she’s hot!’ Ron had asked. ‘Yeah she is, but she’s also my girlfriend,’ Ron’s face had turned bright red as he stammered an apology. Harry had laughed it off, turning his attention back to Kiley. Then he had noticed Draco’s expression, the wolfish delight that was etched into his face.

Draco kissing her came next as she tried to struggle away from him, pounding his chest with her fists. Harry had been livid, completely livid as he threw Draco across the hall, stepping in front of Kiley protectively.

Then the Common Room, when she performed her first act of advanced magic in front of him by looking into his memories. Her innocent expression filled his mind just then as he remembered how she had switched from wearing jeans to wearing his pajama pants in the blink of an eye.

Then he remembered the tattoo she had. She had said it was her first act of defiance against her dad. At that point she had believed that Voldemort was her father, so she must have been defying him.

Then the next time they kissed. She kissed wonderfully, sweetly, and way too innocently. Harry sighed, wishing he could kiss her again.

The next thing that filled his mind was when she told him who her father was. Harry hadn’t known what to do, so he did the first thing that came to his mind. When she had fallen against him from the force he had used to bring her to him it was like his mind had gone completely numb. All he could think about was her. How her body felt on top of his, how her lips felt on his.

Suddenly there came a loud bang and an equally loud curse from the hallway downstairs. Kiley jerked awake, her eyes fluttering open.

“I fell asleep?” she asked Harry. She looked at the window, realizing the rain had stopped.

“Yes, you did, love,” Harry whispered, hugging her tight.

“How long have I been asleep?” she asked, stretching slightly.

He checked his watch, “about an hour and a half,”

She laughed sleepily, “No wonder I’m hungry! It’s almost time for dinner, right?”

Harry nodded, smiling at her flushed face. Her eyes where shining from the sleep she had gotten. He realized she looked even more beautiful in real life than in his memories.

“What do you think that loud bang was?” she asked him.

“I don’t know, but that kinda sounded like Fred or George’s voice who swore. Think we should go check it out?” Harry asked, hoping she would say no.

“We might as well. The bang sounded like it had come from my room.” Kiley said, sighing rather unhappily.

“Kiley? Harry? Are you two up there?” Sirius called from dowstairs.

“Yeah, we’re up here!” Harry called back, opening the door and walking towards the stairs.

“What were you two doing up there?” Sirius asked when they came into view.

Harry lowered his voice, “she was crying,”

Sirius nodded, not wanting to know the reason why.

“Well, Kiley I’m very sad to say that Fred and George completely destroyed the room you where staying in. Apparently they thought that room belonged to Severus and tried to make a dung bomb in it.” Fred and George were being scolded by Mrs. Weasely in one of the corners of the hallway. Their faces were downcast as she yelled at them. “And since we have yet another guest coming, I’m afraid there is no where for you to sleep.”

“She could sleep in my room! I could sleep on the couch and she could take the bed!” Harry cried, jumping up and down slightly. Sirius eyed Harry.

“Harry, could I talk to you for a moment?” Harry nodded his head and Sirius took him to the side. Sirius placed a silencing charm around them so Kiley couldn’t hear them.

Kiley watched as Sirius’s face grew grave, and Harry’s face paled to a rather frightening shade of white. He began to vigorously shake his head, his face looking horror stricken. His hands came up as he continued to shake his head. Kiley grew rather amused as she watched Sirius nod gravely. When he turned around Sirius looked rather relieved. He undid the silencing charm and walked back over to Kiley.

“I guess you’ll be staying in Harry’s room then,” Sirius said. “Now that that’s all settled, who wants dinner?” Sirius walked down the hall and down the stairs.

“Don’t ask, because I won’t tell you,” Harry said when he approached Kiley.

“Trust me; I wasn’t going to ask anyways.” Kiley laughed.

“You won’t be laughing for long. Snape’s gonna ask you the same question sooner or later,” Harry said, laughing at the thought of Severus asking that question.

“No he won’t. Narcissa already gave me the talk.” Kiley said, trying to cast the scene out of her head were Severus asked that dreaded question.

“Lucky you,” Harry mumbled. Kiley laughed as they walked downstairs.

When they walked into the room, the first thing Kiley noticed was all the people who where crammed into that little kitchen. All Weasley’s where condensed into one side of the table, all eating the same food. The rest of the people who where staying here where on the other side. Tonks and Lupin where talking to each other, not eating a single thing. Severus and Sirius where talking to each other across the table, Piper randomly throwing in a comment as she attacked her food vigorously. Narcissa and Draco where looking very out of place, eating daintily. Jason and Kelly where obviously arguing over something. One new person was there, sitting at the head of the table and shoving food into his mouth steadily, his one blue eye looking about the room.

“That’s Mad-Eye Moody,” Harry whispered when he saw Kiley looking at him. She nodded. They walked over to the table and sat down in between Severus and Ron, Harry sitting next to Ron and Kiley sitting next to Severus. Ron looked relieved when they sat down, relaxing from his rigid posture and finally starting to shovel food into his mouth.

“Did you hear what happened?” she asked Severus when she sat down.

He turned to her with a puzzled look on his face. “No, what happened?”

“Fred and George made a dung bomb in my room, and it blew up.” Kiley said, laughing slightly.

Severus laughed and the room went quiet. His laugh rang of the walls it was so quiet.

“What,” Fred started,

“The,” George said,

“Bloody,”

“Hell??” they finished together. Nobody said a word. Everyone was just staring at Severus, who was looking very uncomfortable. Even Mr. Weasely had stopped eating.

Lupin cleared his throat suddenly and turned back to talking to Tonks. The room went normal again after that.

“I don’t think I’ve heard him laugh since Miley,” Piper commented rather loudly when the room returned normal.

“I think you should smile and laugh more often, Dad,” Kiley said, trying to stifle the giggle fit that was coming on.

Severus grunted and started to eat again. The dinner went normally the rest of the time. The only thing that was different was that every once in a while someone would shift their gaze to look at Severus, who was looking quite comfortable and talking with the other people around him, smiling and laughing along with everyone else.

When dinner was done, and desert was over, everyone went their separate ways. Some went up to their rooms to change, some stayed in the kitchen to help clean up, while some went into the family room to read or sit by the fire and talk.

Harry went upstairs with Ron so he could catch up with everything that had happened at school, and Kiley went into the family room with Severus, picking out a book from the shelves that where built along the fireplace and resting against Severus’s legs so she could read. Severus sat in a chair, gazing into the fire and talking with Lupin.

So much had happened to him in the span of a couple days that he felt like a totally different person. He never thought he would be having a civil conversation with one of the men who had tortured him in school, for Merlin’s sake! And yet, here he was, his daughter resting against his leg, reading ‘Pride and Prejudice’, and talking to Lupin, a Marauder. He was becoming friends with Sirius Black, and he was warming up to Harry Potter. Harry Potter of all people! He no longer used the monotone that he had adapted to using in Hogwarts, or when he was around any other person than Kiley. He realized with a start that he wasn’t grieved over Lily’s loss anymore. That was the only reason why he did all the things he did. He still loved Lily. But looking down at his daughter made him realize something. He had to move on. He had to make the right choices now and actually care about living. His daughter would be of age soon to make her own choices, and he didn’t want to miss anymore of her life than he already had.

Kiley yawned suddenly and got up, placing a marker in her book. She was already halfway done with it.

“I’m going to bed now, Dad. Goodnight,” she kissed him on the cheek and walked upstairs, saying goodnight to everyone who she crossed paths with.

“So, Severus, how does it feel to have a daughter?” Lupin asked suddenly, watching her retreating figure. Severus didn’t catch the jealousy in his voice, the accusation.

“It feels wonderful, Remus. It feels wonderful.” he sighed. He got up and proclaimed that he was going to bed to. He said goodnight to everyone, just like Kiley did a couple seconds ago.

When Kiley walked into Harry’s room she pulled out her favorite pajamas, pink girl boxers with white polka-dots and a white tank top and slipped them on, happy that the day was over. She shook her hair out, not wanting to put it up in a pony tail. She climbed into bed happily, taking off her locket that she had put back on before leaving the unused room upstairs and placing it on the side table that was next to the bed. She turned off the light and snuggled into the bed, trying to get warm. It was freezing!

She flipped onto her side and pulled the covers closer around her.

“Goodnight Ron!” she heard Harry call. She closed her eyes quickly, trying to pretend she was asleep.

The door opened quietly then closed just as quietly. Kiley rolled lazily onto her back, trying to alert him of her presence without actually telling him. She heard him chuckle slightly.

Harry pulled his pajamas on and silently climbed into bed.

Heat!!!! Kiley rejoiced inwardly. She snuggled closer to his as soon as he pulled the covers over himself and said, “Warmth!!!!”

“I knew you were awake,” he whispered to her. She opened her eyes and looked up at him, smiling. Harry took off his glasses and set them on the side table.

“Goodnight, sweetheart,” he said, putting his arm around her waist.

“Night,” she yawned, closing her eyes and snuggling closer to him.