Chapter 8

Hey guys this is a lighter chapter :) but please if you are in need of help call your local hotline or lifeline, there are people there to help :) 

Authors POV

Melissa and Abby walked into Chris and his sitting by his father's bed, not speaking a word of what happened hours ago.

"Mr. Wood, I brought you something to help you get better," Abby told Mr. Wood, smiling. "Oh, thank You, Abby," he said Abby, "come and give me a hug." He spoke, waving her over.

Abby looked at her mum. Melissa placed the gifts and food on the chair beside the door, picking Abby up and placing her on Mr. Woods's bed, hugging her.

Melissa walked over to Chris. "So I told a nurse that I'm his daughter-in-law because he creeped me out by asking me on a date." Chris looked at Melissa, nodded with a smile. "That's fine with me," he replied, smiling.

An hour later, Abby became restless. Melissa held her bouncing her up and down. "Um, I think I should take her home" Melissa spoke to the family of three.

"Ok, honey, I can organize a car. Mr. Woods driver will have a key," Mrs. Wood spoke. "Ok, thank you," Melissa replies.

"I will walk you down," Chris replies as we head out the door and down to the lobby and wait for the car with her and Abby.

As they were waiting, Melissa became tired of holding a sleeping Abby. "Here, let me take her," Chris spoke, "Thank you," Melissa replied, handing Abby over to Chris, who smiled in return.

"Do you need me to come home with you?" Chris asked Melissa. "No, it's ok. If the driver has a key, I will be fine. Thank you, though," Melissa replied as. 

The car pulled up. "Ok, I will see you soon," Chris said cautiously and hesitantly kissed Melissa on the cheek.

_________

Later that night, Melissa was in the room here, and Abby was sharing for the time being on her iPad looking at places to live.

Melissa heard a soft knock at the door. Looking up, seeing a drained Chris, "Hi." He smiles at her and responds, "Hi, can I?" He asks, looking down at Abby sound sleep on a makeshift mattress.

"Is your dad ok?" Melissa asked Chris, who singled with his hand, asking if he could sit on the bed her bed. Melissa nodded in returned as he replied.

"Yeah, they have him seduced with heavy anti-depressants so.. I think he knows what's going on, but because they are so heavy, he's finding it hard to understand what happened or what he tried to do at least." Chris started.

Melissa looked at him, the Only words that could come out of her mouth were, "I'm sorry." Which he shrugged his shoulders. 

"Um tomorrow most of the people in the office are taking the day off, I told them they could, and others have opted to stay and work." He started.

"So, did you want to get you to get things from your house tomorrow? Bring them back here for the time being?" He suggested.

Smiling, Melissa responded, "Sure, I'd like that." The two didn't know what to do, "Maybe, Maybe we could go out to lunch after, Abby could come?" He suggested.

"Who's Abby?" Melissa asked, starring into his eyes. He looked at Abby, who was at the end of the bed. "Your daughter?" He said with a smirk.

"Right, yeah sounds good," Melissa replied, defeated that he didn't want to go out with just her. "But I would like to take you out on an actual date, just the two of us. I want everything with my dead to settle down." He told Melissa, who smiled.

"I'd like that," Melissa replied with a smile. Chris leaned in and kissed melissa, this time back on the lips, which she leaned into cupping his face. 

He pulled away. "Good night, Melissa," Chris said, leaving the room, and Melissa laying back on her bed, smiling her left hand on her lips.

_______

The next morning, Melissa walked down the stairs with a dress Abby, ready to pack up all her things.

"Good morning," Mrs. Wood spoke as she gave Melissa and Abby a juice. "Good morning Mrs. Wood," Melissa says, as Abby, "Morning Grammy," Abby said with a smile.

"Now what would you like for breakfast, Chris told me he would take you to get all your things, so I thought of making you a few pancakes? Is that ok?" She asked, unsure if Abby could have pancakes.

"That is fine with me, thank you," Melissa replied with a smile. Mrs. Wood handed the two a plate full of pancakes with fruit on the side.

"Abby, you will eat the fruit, ok," Melissa spoke sternly to her daughter, who nodded and ate the fruit first.

_______

Once they ate breakfast, the two adults and child got into Mr. Wood's car, heading off to Melissa's place. When they arrived, Melissa tensed up as the landlord was at her door. "Hi, Melissa." He spoke.

"Good morning, I will be as quick as I can." Melissa said with her head down, "Melissa, do you have anywhere to go or stay?" The landlord asked. "I am staying with my boss at the moment until I find an apartment" Melissa spoke.

"Hi Grant," Chris said casually shaking his hand, "Chris good to see you, I will let you do your stuff, just let me know if you need somewhere, I am happy to give you a place, two-bedroom and one bathroom, at a cheap price." Grant told Melissa, making her smile quietly.

Melissa Told Abby to sit on the couch with her iPad, so she and Chris could do everything quickly. 

Grant walked in, wanting to help, not to get her up of the apartment, but from the kindness of his heart.

When he saw the state of the apartment, he knew something was wrong. "Melissa what.." he started.

"I will pay for all the repairs, I promise. I need to find the money first," Melissa stated. "Melissa, it's ok. I just wanted to know what happened. Did he come again?" Grant asked Melissa, who nodded.

"That son of a.." he started looking at Abby, "Sorry, why didn't you tell him. Man, I will kill him," Grant started again.

"Wait, do you know Jake?" Chris asked his friend as Grant nodded. "We all went to school together. I feel responsible that it has come this far." Grant finished.

"Mel, I am so sorry," Grant said in tears. Melissa walked up to him and hugged him. "It's ok, at least Abby safe, and Chris is taking good care of me, " Melissa told Grant with a smile. "Ok, please Melissa, I want you safe, so if he comes and finds you don't be afraid to call the police and me." Grant told his Friend Melissa.