Chapter 50

Chapter 50

~Darcy's POV~

Explaining everything I knew about the ZKL took hours. Hot chocolate number three marked the end of our conversation. I had watched the comings and goings of the people of the small café during my many hours here. This place was a marvel to me. People could come and go as they pleased, without an ounce of fear clouding their journeys. I never had that, I was always looking over my shoulder, always looking for my next target, or a new threat. But not these people... no these... humans. Oh how I envied them.

"We should probably get going. Maniae can't be trusted to hold the fort down much longer." Dion joked, gathering the trash that had accumulated on the table after our many hours here. Out of the corner of my eye I saw a familiar face, I reached to my side instantly feeling for my knife on my hip.

"Darcy what-,"

"Just play it cool. He's someone I went to school with a while back while I was on a mission. He doesn't know I was working with the people who helped take down his beta. We were... acquaintances." We were actually friends. I would never admit that out loud though, I mean, who would believe it? Darcidian Davis having friends? As if.

"Cid! How's it goin' dude? I haven't seen you in ages! I heard you transferred out of state. What was it, Georgia?" I tried shuffling though memories, trying to think of the cover story that we had told the teachers at that school. Mississippi. He was close though.

"Actually it was Mississippi. We didn't stay there long though... we haven't really settled down since then actually."

"Ah, that's too bad. How's that pretty sister of yours? Still a looker?" A familiar glare settled on my face and the boy in front of me laughed.

"Oh don't get your panties in a wad Darcidian. You know I'd never tap that. Bros before Hoes, right?" Even Dion let out a laugh at that.

"Wouldn't dream of it Vega. How's the hippie life treating you?"

"Oh don't even start that with me man. I told you my parents were high when they named me. The names still hurt dude. Remember that time when you drew a peace sign on my forehead in Mr. Goulder's A.P. Bio class? I swear he was so made his toupee was gonna fall off."

"He made me explain to the whole class why I thought it was necessary to graffiti a fellow classmate's forehead. All I did was tell him the truth."

"Telling the teacher that you couldn't hide the fact that your best friend was an undercover hippie didn't seem to fly so well with him, did it?"

"Nope. No it did not."

"Well I got to go, my boss is only giving me a fifteen minute break. I work at the auto shop down the street. Are you guys planin' on staying here or are you just passing through?"

"I...," I had no idea how to answer him. What were my plans after my vendetta with Lucie was over?

"We're staying not too far from here actually. I come to this coffee shop pretty much every morning. My friend Darcy here is more than capable of tagging along with me sometime. That is if he thinks he can get up before noon."

"Ah, still not a morning person Cid?"

"Don't call me Cid."

"You'll always be my Ciddy Cid, kiddy kid! Wasn't that what your sister always used to say? Gosh I miss your sister. You should bring her around sometime. Crap, I'm late to work. See you around Darcy... Darcy's friend."

"Well that was interesting. Who would have that the almighty Darcy Davis would have actual friends?" I let out a groan and buried my head in my arms, covering up the blush that had formed on my face. "Let's just go," I mumbled, not raising my head. I heard Dion's chuckle and the sound of his retreating footsteps. Looks like I won't have to face embarrassment after all. I ignored the stares as we made our way outside the café and walked over to the Jeep.