Chapter 33

Chapter 33

~Lucie's POV~

"Beau!" The sounds of his chuckling had me peaking through my tightly clenched eyes.

"Don't worry little cookie, I wouldn't have let you see anything. It is just fun watching your reactions. I know Casey is the only man for you." He had put boxers on and was currently stepping into his loose pajama bottoms.

"Thanks," I mumbled, finally taking a step into his room. The room was quaint with chestnut wood flooring and blue painted walls. But what really surprised me was the large mural of a wolf that was above Beau's bed.

"Beautiful isn't it?" Beau asked, catching my gaze that had been directed towards the mural. It was a gray wolf that was painted with his head in submission.

"Yeah but it's a bit cruel painting a picture of a wolf surrendering in a visiting werewolf's room isn't it?" I had never seen one before, mostly because I hadn't stayed in many Alpha houses before.

"It's a common thing really, it's to remind the visiting werewolf that even though they are a guest here, they still need to bow down to the werewolf in charge." I nodded, once again mesmerized by the wolf painting.

"I know you didn't come to visit me to look at my decor, so what's the real reason you're here?"

"I wanted to know more about the men you're bringing in. I'm not a big fan of rogues, so I really want to know who I'm going to be allowing onto my pack lands."

"Spoken like a true Luna," his words caused a smile to spread across my face until I realized their double meaning.

"Beau-,"

"I know, I know,"

"Doesn't Casey have to be here for this?" Beau said, attempting to change the subject as he cast his eyes away from me.

"I'll fill him in later," Beau rolled his eyes at me and gestured for me to sit on his bed. I sat next to him and after a few seconds of awkward silence he began.

"Not all of my men can come at once. Most of the men that I am bringing in our on a mission right now."

"A mission or a mission," back when I was still running with Beau there were two kinds of missions. One's with little risk that he just did for money and the underlying feeling of well doing and then there were the ones where he hardly excepted a cent that were some of the most challenging and life threatening things I had I ever done in my life. And that was saying something.

"A mission," my jaw clenched. The longer I was around Beau, the more memories that I had buried long ago came rushing back to me.

"Is it an Ironwood mission or more of an Alpine mission?"

"A little of both," my stomach instantly went on spin cycle. The Ironwood disaster had been one of the cruelest, bloodiest encounters I had ever had, I had only been in one other instance where more blood had been spilt and lives had been taken.

"Do you still think of Ironwood a lot?"

"You mean the Ironwood disaster? Yes. It still haunts me every day of my life. Just like Rock and Roast does from my huntress days."

"Look Lucie, I shouldn't have-,"

"It's fine, B," I rubbed my head in circles, trying to dual the aching pain that had arisen in my head after the memories had crashed back into me. Beau wrapped his arms around me like he used to after our talks about Ironwood. I missed his hugs like this. There was no underlying reason for it, just comfort and a sense of knowing that someone else knew what you were going through. He let go after my breathing got steadier; and gave me one of his half-hearted smiles. It was Beau's real smile, something that hardly anyone ever got to see much of.