Chapter 10

Chapter 10

~Darcy's POV~

My mind was racing as I tried to figure out how something like this could have happened. Clarie, Lucie's best friend, had escaped the compound. My grandfather might have perished, but at least one of the four people who I wanted dead were already free. My only hope was that my men had a better luck of locating my parents than I had with finding Lucie's best friend. Clarie knew damning information about both my plans. Tracking her down wouldn't be overly difficult, however. Having grown up with this woman, I knew her better than anyone aside from Lucie. There was only one person she could trust at this point, which made figuring out where she would be next rather simple. The only advantage there was to having Clarie escape was that Clarie would lead us straight to Lucie.

"Darcy, your parent's escaped-," I raised my hand to silence the man who had spoken. Why had I brought a whole pack if they could not handle the one thing I had ordered them to do?

"Tell me, were any of your men killed while trying to capture my parents?" I probed. Redness creeped onto the man's face who had previously spoken.

"No," he confessed, his eyes darting downward in submission.

"Tell me sir, what is your name?"

"Noah," he stammered out, his eyes widening as he spoke. Approaching him slowly, I never broke eye contact. His Adams apple visibly moved as I moved closer to him, his eyes darting around seemingly searching for help.

A small girl pushed forward in the crowd and made her way to Noah before I was able to reach him. Upon seeing the girl, Noah pushed her back. She held her ground, however and I grinned at her foolish determination to save her presumed father. Grinning, I turned the direction of my pursuit to the small girl. She whimpered as I bent down to her level.

"What's your name sweetheart?"

"Willow," her voice was soft and velvety and for a single second I debated doing what I had originally planned. A part of me wished to ignore my instincts, to let the poor girl live. However, years of conditioning by my parents was forcing me to do otherwise.

"How old are you, Willow?" I heard myself asking. Why did I ask that? Why do I care?

"Fourteen, sir," she bowed her head to me, her cheeks blazing pink.

"Fourteen? Wow, that's awfully young to be going on a mission with your pack sweetie." Why was I saying this?

"I know, sir. But I am a really good fighter. I killed three hunters all by myself!" A grin spread on her face and I couldn't help but smile back at her. Why was she making me feel this way?

"We should get going before reinforcements get here," Noah said, lightly pulling the girl named willow behind him. I nodded and followed the others outside the now abandoned hunter compound. As we walked out I heard voices talking behind me.

"I can't believe that Darcy didn't kill Willow. I was sure he was going to!" I was too. Why couldn't I? Why couldn't I kill one simple werewolf girl? I had been killing them for more than a third of my life. Why then did I hesitate to kill her?

~Lucie's POV~

I was in the forest alone running as fast as I could. Tears were running down my face as I thought back to what Clarie had told me. Your brother is coming here to kill you. Darcy. My brother. I had grown up with him. Taken baths with him when we were little kids. Why did he decide that one day he wanted me dead?

"Lucie, wait!" Clarie was racing behind me, but all I could do was move faster, wanting to get as far away from this pack as possible. I should put them at risk. I can't put them at risk. I might be known as the Alpha Killer and I might have killed hundreds, but if there was one thing I was sure of, it was that I was not the heartless person that I had pretended to be all my life.