Chapter 49

Chapter 49

~Lucie’s POV~

I ran my fingers lightly through Beau’s hair as he slept. I knew that as a Luna, as an Alpha’s mate, I wasn’t supposed to be showing affection to any other man. But I couldn’t help myself. Beau had a part of me that no one else could. He shared things with me that were incapable of being shared with anyone else. That didn’t mean I was going to leave Casey. Or that I would be willing to do anything thing else with Beau than what I was doing now.

I watched with an amused smile on my face as Beau snuggled deeper into my lap, his head lying in my lap. Casey hadn’t returned to the Pack House yet and for that I was thankful. Even though I knew that Casey wasn’t in danger of losing me to Beau, that didn’t mean he didn’t think that.

“You know you shouldn’t be doing that,” I snapped my head up at the sound of Alayah’s voice.

“I can’t leave him here alone,”

“There are whispers running though the Pack Lucie,”

“I wouldn’t expect anything less,” I huffed, resuming my play with Beau’s hair. The soft black strands slid easily though my fingertips, something that I had always loved doing, but had never really done.

“As much as I hate to say this Lucie, you have an image to protect. Stay in here nursing your ex-boyfriend back to health really isn’t the best way to keep your image up, especially during times of war.”

“What if I don’t care what people think about me?”

“When you’re a leader, you have to act like someone is watching you at all times. These people need someone to look up to, and right now, you’re it. Casey is spending less and less time with his pack. We need to unite the people, because at the rate we’re going right now, we won’t have any people left to unite when the final battle comes.”

“That’s a lot of wisdom for an eighteen year old girl to possess,”

“I’m third in command for a reason Lucie. I didn’t get this position because of my looks, despite what other packs might think.”

“That’s only because everyone in this pack is too afraid to piss you off. You look at everyone like they’re crazy or like you’re about to bite their head off.”

“What can I say, I’ve found intimidation a strong motivator.”

“Layah…,” I warned, giving her a half smile. She let out a full-body laugh, her whole body shaking as she tried to calm her breathing.

“I haven’t laughed like that in a long time,”

“I haven’t heard a laugh like that in a long time,” Beau’s voice was muffled as he turned his head in my lap. Alayah and I both stared down at him for a couple of seconds, shocked at his intrusion.

“You stopped playing with my hair,” Beau said, staring straight up at me. It took me a couple of seconds to recover from his brazen look, and after blinking a few times I was finally able to tear my gaze away from his.

“I would offer to give you guys a moment alone, but in all honesty, I don’t think that’s the best idea for the two of you right now.” She was right. It seemed like she was always right. I would never say that to her face, though, because she didn’t need the ego boost.

“I think Alayah may be onto something,” what? The sound of Alayah’s laughter had me swirling around giving her the same confused stare.

“I’m sorry, but the way that you furrow your eyebrows is just plain hilarious. Carry on, carry on.”