Chapter 20

Chapter 20

~Darcy's POV~

Walking back alone in the forest after you ran off is hard and doing it with someone who you hated with every fiber of your being was even harder.

"So... do you like... fish?" It was official. I was an epic failure. My face flushed bright red as she literally stopped walking and hugged her knees as she laughed.

"Oh come on it's not that funny," I said gruffly, trying to quell the embracement that was surging though me at an unhealthy rate.

"I just need a second... or maybe a minute. God Darcy, where the hell do you come up with stuff like that? Is there some big book of idiot I can look up idiot-mazing pickup lines like that?" A groan left my lips before I was able to contain it, spurring her laughing even more.

"I was not trying to 'pick you up'" I said, an outraged expression flooding my face.

"Oh right, you're just trying to get in that other werewolves pants."

"Really? Don't bring Winnie into this. What does she have to do with this?" Pure anger escaped with my words as I imagined Winnie anywhere close to this insane killer.

"How is she not in this? I mean come on Darcy you had to wonder why I let you go all those years ago after I killed your friend. I can tell you this, it wasn't out of the kindness of my heart."

"You were under orders. That had to be it. I mean why else would you let the son of the most feared hunters in America loose?"

"Really Darcy? Are you really that thick headed that you can't see what's right in front of you?" Her voice was filled with pain and I watched as she turned away, blocking her face from my view.

"Come one Mani, what's really bother you?" my own words shocked me, an emotion leaking into them that I hadn't experienced in a long time with someone other than Winnie, caring.

"Seriously Darc do you need me to spell it out for you?"

"What do you mean?" Confusion ran clear in my voice as her words started to slowly make sense to me.

"Wow you really are an idiot. Dion was right, I'm way over my head."

"Man-,"

"Just don't Darcy. It should be obvious by now Darcy. I care about you. More than I should. Why do really think that I'm going with you right now?" Silence greeted her as her words finally registered in my brain. Care? About me? Was there some memo out that said it was 'screw with Darcy day'? Because honestly? How many people could care about me? Truly? Before today I would have said none. But three? That's just too many to be realistic.

"Stop messing with me Maniae. I can't take any more people saying that they care about me."

"Not when I don't really care about myself," I muttered under my breath, but still she heard it. Werewolves always do.

"Darcy-,"

"Let's just get a move on it. We have to be there before nightfall if you want to make it in there with all your limbs in tack."

~Lucie's POV~

I walked down the dimly lit hallway that led to the jail cells. Casey was clutching my hand tightly while Kaija, Dom, and Alayah followed closely behind. I felt the nervousness swarming in my chest at just the thought of seeing Clarie again. The atmosphere of the hallway didn't help much either, dimly lit with a side of cracked flooring.  It seemed like hours until we reached the end of the hallway, which had two well-built men standing in front of stained double doors.