Chapter 11

Chapter 11

~Lucie's POV~

"So how did you become an Alpha, Braylynn?" Braylynn's usual soft brown eyes instantly hardened and she looked away.

"The Suarez's have been Alpha's of the Crimson Ember Pack since its beginning. My older brother Brayden was first in line for the alpha title followed by Brayan and my older brother Brayde and sister Brayanna. I was last in line for Alpha, but I was the only one to survive a war that we had with a pack that we nearly obliterated, the Refugee Pack. I didn't take over being Alpha because I wanted to, but because I had to. I was the one of the only ones left in the pack that had an Alpha voice, and without one running a pack is basically impossible. So here I am." Duty. That was one feeling that I had definitely had grown accustomed to over the years. That was one of the only things that had kept me at the Hunter's Compound. Duty and fear.

"I know the feeling of Duty. Duty can weigh you down, it can make you feel like there's an elephant sitting on your chest, capturing every breath that you make. Duty can be scary, all consuming, and unrelenting. But the only thing that makes it go away...," is thinking of something that you care about. Love. That was the only thing that made the all-consuming feeling of duty and obligation go away. But I couldn't tell Braylynn that.

"What, what made it go away?" Braylynn asked, looking completely intrigued.

"Anything, anything that mattered." She nodded and I let a small smirk drift onto my face. I heard a soft knock on the door and I instantly turned to gaze at it.

"Alpha?"

"Yes, Rian?"

"The prisoner is requesting to see someone,"

"I'll be out in a second. Just let me-,"

"The rogue isn't asking for you. He's asking for Lucie."

"Mike?" What could Mike want from me? Honestly?

"He said it was important. About someone named Dion." I felt all the color drain from my face and my palms start to sweat. Dion? He was dead, he had to be. There was no way that he could have survived after what I had done to him. He had to be dead. There was only one way to find out. I had to talk to Mike.

~*~

"I can't believe that you're trusting a rogue. A rouge? Really? Everything he says is a lie. He's just hoping that one of the lies satisfies us enough to let him free."

"If what he's about to tell me what I think he's going to, then he isn't going to want to be free." If Dion was alive, and Preston was dead Mike would want death. Mike's mate had been Dion's fiancée, but left him the second that she met Mike. The hunters and I... we killed so many of the members in Dion's pack. At the time Preston, Clancy and both of their mates had been with Dion's pack. I personally killed both Preston and Clancy's mates, along with Mike's mate. But I had thought that Mike's mate was actually Dion's mate. I mean, why would a wolf marry someone other than their mate? Dion still blames Mike for the death of his fiancée. So if we let Mike go free, Dion will kill him. Does it matter to Dion that I was the actual one to kill his mate? Probably. But he still blames Mike for her death. The only thing I can hope for is that Dion is still dead. I thought I killed him. But did I really? I have no idea."

"Are you really sure that you can trust him?" Was I? Honestly, I had no idea. Could I trust anyone anymore?

"Just as much as I think I could trust anyone, at this point," I mumbled, pausing in front of the solid prison door.

"You don't have to go in alone Luc," Braylynn said behind me, her eyes pleading with mine to change my mind. But I had to do this. It needed to be done. And it needed to be done my way.