Chapter 21

Chapter 21

~Lucie's POV~

This was the largest room in the pack house. At least half of the pack could fit inside the room, each of us packed in like sardines at the makeshift table that had been created in the training room.  Kaija gave me a look and I nodded, following her out of the room. We made our way up to my bedroom as quickly as possible, knowing that we both would soon be missed at the meeting. Kaija was the first to act, sitting on my window sill, her gaze cast to the forest that we had both grown to know so well. Her expression was torn, somewhere between guilt and betrayal.

"You couldn't have known this was going to happen Kai," tears fell from her eyes and I couldn't stop myself from sitting down next to her on the window sill.

"But I knew something was wrong. That's the problem. Wyatt is the reason that I stopped hanging out with Zorra. Not because she was unpopular, poor, or my friends didn't like her. Because her brother threatened me, creeped me out, and was in love with his big sister. That's why. I knew something was wrong and instead of facing in I let it push me away from them, from both of them. Don't you see Luce? It's my fault. But not just mine, it's everyone's. When was the last time that you talked to Zorra, Lucie?" My breath caught in my throat. I had met Zorra and Wyatt on my first day of school here, promising to be friends with Zorra. And what I had done since? Had I even talked to her since that first day? No. No I hadn't.

"I know what you mean. The worst part is now our enemies have banded together... I just..," she let her voice trail off as she continued to cry. I felt my heart break for her. The first few times that you were betrayed were the hardest, you still felt hopeless, the betrayal catching you blind.  

"Kai-,"

"No, Lucie. Listen up. We're both at fault here. Lucie, you have to understand that Wyatt is dangerous. Whenever we find him, it's going to be because he wants us to find him. It's going to be a trap. But there is nothing we can do about it. People are going to die. I'm going to lose more people Lucie... I've already lost so many people...  and Wyatt, if I knew him at all, will have a wicked backup plan. It will have just as many deaths planed as the original one, if not more.

"No. No one will die today. No one but Wyatt."

"You know that there isn't an ending that will have Wyatt walking out of there alive right? At least not one that doesn't risk countless lives on our part. Kaija you understand that right?" Her determination shocked me, along with her laugh that soon followed.

"Doesn't mean that I don't want him to die." Her voice was bitter and her eyes cold. She was only sixteen yet she had seen more darkness in the world than light. It felt like I was looking at a younger version of myself, one that hadn't been tainted by nearly as much pain as I had. But there was always that one day, that one event that pushed you down the road of darkness. Sometimes it just came down who was giving you directions when it came to what path to take.

"Trust me when I say that you aren't the only one that want's Wyatt dead,"

"No, but I have a feeling that he isn't going to be going anywhere anytime soon,"

~☾~

~Winnie's POV~

My pace was fast, faster than it had been in a long time. Running had always been an obsession of mine, if it wasn't in the forest it was on the ancient treadmill that I had called my own, the one that had seen more years than I had. My thoughts were jumbled as I ran through the forest, Darcy coming to my mind more often than not. There was just something about him. He parked something in me, and not just in an emotional sense. It was like every time I looked at him I was staring through a one way mirror, as if I could see him but he couldn't see me.