8

Taehyung remained slumped over the toilet, too physically and emotionally exhausted to move. He just needed a few moments to collect himself and then he'd be fine.

He needed to remember that he was V. V didn't hurl his guts out over a boy. No, V didn't care about anyone or anything at all.

He'd let himself be Taehyung for two minutes more and then he'd put his mask back into place.

The door to the bathroom opened and Taehyung quickly locked the stall he was in. He didn't need anyone taking a picture of him in this state.

"I have something to tell you guys!" The newcomer said, presumably into a phone. "V - you know, that huge singer - selected me to work with him this summer. Can you believe it?"

Taehyung stifled the urge to drown himself in the toilet. Of course Jungkook would have to come in here. Really, Taehyung had the worst luck.

"I only took a short break from studying, but I'm going to head back now."

Jungkook paused, letting the other line speak.

"The opportunity to audition meant a lot to me, Dad. Just being here was a dream come true. And now - "

The younger broke off as he was interrupted. Taehyung quietly shifted his position so he could peer at Jungkook through the crack in the door. The younger looked distressed.

"Please, sir. This is a once in a lifetime thing! This is my biggest passion, my dream. Please don't take this away from me."

Taehyung lowered his gaze as he heard the desperation in Jungkook's voice. He felt guilty to be eavesdropping on this conversation, but couldn't very well leave right now.

"I am begging you, sir. Please let me do this. Please. I will do anything you ask of me if you - " A pause. "Hello? Dad?"

Jungkook threw his phone down onto the bathroom counter and let out a loud groan. He knew his parents thought his dream was stupid. He understood where they were coming from, especially when it seemed like there were no opportunities for Jungkook. But being selected to be V's mentee . . . this was real. This could be the start of everything.

But his parents didn't care. His father said they would not pay for him to stay in Seoul over the summer. They would not support him shadowing some 'irresponsible playboy' instead of working at his financial internship.

Jungkook wanted to slam his fist into the mirror, but knew it would accomplish nothing. He looked at his reflection and peered deep into his eyes.

Was this karma? Was this payback for all of the horrible things he had done years past? He tried to atone for those mistakes each and every day, but it seemed his sentence was yet to be paid off.

In the mirror, he saw a bathroom stall open from behind him. Jungkook almost choked when a mop of blue hair was revealed to him.

"What are you doing here?" Jungkook asked, spinning around to face V.

"Eating a seven course meal," the artist replied sarcastically, leaning his head back onto the stall. "What do you think I'm doing?"

Jungkook nodded, too caught up in his thoughts to respond or think straight.

"From the sound of your conversation, your Dad doesn't want you accepting this mentorship. Right?"

Taehyung never really knew Jungkook's parents, but he was positive about one thing. They were very traditional and wanted their son to have a successful, by-the-books type of life. To them, that meant finding ways to push Jungkook harder than ever before. They had always searched for ways to get him ahead of other kids his age.

Taehyung remembered how stifled the younger felt, but secretly, he had always felt jealous. Jungkook's parents may have been controlling and overbearing, but at least they wanted to be a part of the younger's life. At least they tried to care for him.

"I can't be your mentee," Jungkook said at last. "My parents won't pay for me to stay in Seoul and I don't have any money saved up to rent an apartment."

"Can you stay with a friend?" Taehyung didn't know why he was trying to help Jungkook find a way to make it work. He should be relieved that this whole situation resolved itself. This was his get out of jail free card.

But there was something in Jungkook's sad eyes that made Taehyung want to do whatever he could to help the boy.

Jungkook shook his head. "My friend - Jimin - is staying with an aunt. She is the type of person who would tell my family where I was right away."

"Do you have any other friends?"

"If I did, I'd be on the phone with them now," the younger answered, trying to ignore the dull ache he felt.

Jungkook made eye contact with V, who was studying him with an intense blue gaze. He felt awkward, just standing there and looking down at the disheveled artist.

V stood up and left the stall, joining Jungkook at the counter to wash his hands. He was standing close to Jungkook, close enough for the younger to see every detail on his face. Seeing him this close caused his breath to hitch slightly.

Jungkook's eyes betrayed him as he scanned over each feature on the artist's face. His heart yearned to touch V, but he knew better. It wasn't because of V himself, but because of who V reminded him of. Jungkook looked to the tip of V's nose, searching for the small freckle his old friend had had.

There was nothing there. The artist's skin had no beauty marks whatsoever.

Taehyung felt Jungkook tracing over his face. How the younger didn't know it was him confused him to no end. Maybe Jungkook had just never cared for him as much as Taehyung had thought.

Maybe Jungkook forgot about him right after he ran away.

Jungkook sighed. "Well, thank you for giving me this opportunity. I would have really liked to learn from you. But . . . I have to go now. Good luck with the program."

He turned to leave, but was stopped by a hand gripping his arm.

"You can stay with me."