40 - real life

Talia lightly knocked on the door to Amara's room

Talia lightly knocked on the door to Amara's room. She silently prayed for her friend to come and open the door but she doesn't.

"Mars? It's me Talia. Can I come in?" she asked. She received no answer, however.

"Mars, come on. It's been two days. I know it's a lot but I need you to talk to me," she said again. This time, scuffling can be heard inside the room. Soon enough, the door opens to a certain extent, Amara's tiny head poking out.

She stares up at Talia, with her big brown eyes, silently begging for Talia to leave her alone.

"I'm going to sleep," she informs.

"It's only 8 p.m."

"I'm going to sleep early."

"Amara," Talia scolds. She sighs and opens the door wider, allowing Talia to see all of her. She wasn't lying when she said she was going to sleep. Amara was already in her pyjamas.

"Come on," Talia says, dragging her friend out into the front yard. Amara whined like a little girl and anchored herself to the ground. She didn't want to go anywhere, especially if it meant confronting her friends.

"We have to talk about this, girl!" Talia was now using both of her hands to get Amara out of the house. Luca and Grace were already in the front yard, waiting when they heard the commotion.

"I'd rather talk to my bed right now, thank you."

"If you don't do this, I'm telling Laila about what happened."

Amara stops her movements and widens her eyes. Talia of course knew that Laila had already found out about this but Amara didn't know that.

"Please don't tell Laila."

"I won't, if you talk to us."

In defeat, she tenses her shoulders and walk along side Talia, to Luca and Grace. Grace looks at her briefly but turns her vision down, embarrassed of herself. They sat down around the the tiny outdoors table and kept quiet for a little while, neither of them were willing to start talking.

"Guess, I'll start?" Luca questions, but nobody answers.

"Amara, I'm sorry about what I said. I was angry and in the heat of the moment, I got really annoyed.That's still not an excuse to say the things I said. You're always looking at the brighter side of things and you share that joy with all of us. It's the only way we actually cope and move on with our pathetic lives. You always motivate us to be better. What I said was way out of line. I shouldn't have said that to you."

"I'm sorry too," Grace spoke up. "For not telling you the truth about myself. And for hiding my true feelings. I just need you to know that I understand. I understand that you may not be able to love me the way I love you and that's okay. I rather have you in my life as a friend, that not have you in my life at all. I just didn't want things to be weird between us, that's why I didn't tell you."

"And we're really sorry about planning to ask Timothée to come to India, without asking you or Laila first, if it was okay," Talia apologises.

"We know you're gonna meet him in San Francisco when we get back but we thought it'd be a good idea to have him spend more time with the real you. Plus, I kinda wanted to see his dumb ass shocked expression when he sees you in a pretty lengha in real life." Talia chuckles, thinking about the idea.

Amara slightly smiles at her friends, who were waiting for her reply.

"I know I may be naive at times. And I know it annoys the shit out of you. But I guess, that's just how I protect myself from getting hurt. You don't have to apologise, Luca. You're right, I can barely handle my own life. But everyday, I learn how to from all of you. You've helped me grow these past years. I'm the best version of me right now because of you."

Luca smiles gratefully at her, his eyes watering.

"Grace," she says. Grace gulps, not ready to hear what she had to say.

"I would never leave you. I can't love you that way but I do love you as my best friend. And I know that's painful to hear, but nothing changes between us, okay? Nothing will ever change. We'll still be best girlfriends." Amara reaches her hand out to hold Grace's. She squeezes her hand to affirm her.

"I gotta say though, yall are pretty sneaky with that Timmy plan." They laugh as Amara rolls her eyes.

"I do like him. Fuck, all I want to do is smush his face and play with his stupid curly hair. But I'm so afraid that we'll grow apart one day. If that happens, then why bother in the first place?"

"But you don't know that, Mars," Luca says.

"You never know what's going to happen, if you don't try in the first place. Yeah, people grow apart, but they only grow apart because they allowed it to happen."

"If you work for it, and if you really love him, everything will be okay."

Amara was deep in her thoughts. She did love him. She loved him since the day she met him.

"Don't give up, Amara," Grace pins the final nail. "You've got a dude who's willing to put up with your dumbass by being a dumbass himself. You're not gonna find that anywhere else."

"He likes you, Mars. Trust us," Talia chimes.

"I appreciate it guys, I really do. But I think I'll stick to publicly flirting with him first. It's less scary that way." The group laughs at her scrunched up face.

"So, we can't call him over to Laila's wedding?"

"No, don't. I want it to be just us."

They all nod their heads in approval. They spent the rest of their night, talking, laughing and reminiscing. It wasn't only after the break of dawn that they realised that had stayed up the whole night.

----------

Author's Note: They made up! Babies!

✨ Vote | Comment ✨