Chapter 3

Chapter 3

I woke from a horrible night sleep with a groan. I should have never slept on the couch. I rolled over and landed with a thud on the floor. I probably should’ve thought that through.

“Ow” I muttered sympathetically to myself.

“You talk to yourself?” Laughed Nate from above me. I rolled over onto my back and propped myself up on one elbow.

“Maybe, what’s it to you?” I slowly stood up and cracked my back loudly.

He smiled and plopped himself down on the couch casually.

“How was your night sleep?” I asked, with a hint of jealousy in my voice. At least he got to sleep on a bed.

He flicked on the TV and started watching the some random morning show. Who watches breakfast shows?

“Fine” He then took a sip of hot chocolate out of a mug. Wait, hot chocolate!?

I casually sat down next to Nate and tried to act natural. But he must have seen through it because when I made a snatch at the mug he yanked it out of the way, holding it up high out of my reach. I made a few attempts at grabbing it but only made Nate laugh more.

I made a face. “Hey! No fair!” 

“Go get your own!”

I pondered this for a second before deciding I was too comfortable on the couch.

“JACOB!” I yelled out across the house.

“What!?” I got an answering yell. This was pretty much a basic conversation in our household.

“Can you get me a hot chocolate?!” I was hoping for some sudden miracle where Jacob would do a good deed for once.

“As if!” I held him snigger and make his way to the kitchen. Looks like my miracle wasn’t coming for a while.

I looked over at Nate and decided to try to make him to my dirty work.

“Nate?” I asked sweetly, battering my eyelashes. I was joking of course. This I was sure would make him laugh.

Nate turned to me and seemed to freeze and then start choking on his chocolate. This almost blew my cover by feeling like I was going to start rolling on the floor rolling.

“Uh…y..yeah Amy?” He said, but he seemed to be avoiding my gaze.

“Do you think you could possibly go and get me a hot chocolate?” I looked up at him with my best puppy dog look and hoped to god it worked. I really didn’t want to hop up.

Nate seemed to go stiff for a second and then pain registered all over his face. I instantly wondered what I did wrong.

“Nate? Nate! I was just joking you know, are you alright? I didn’t mean to-“

He just shook his head and smiled. “Just my chest is all”

Relief passed over me like a wave. “Good” That’s when I realised my head was starting to throb. I hoped I hadn’t done too much damage to my head, but with my luck, I may as well have brain damage.

Nate hopped up and started walking off, with a strange expression on his face.

“Where are you going?” I asked confused. If he needed some of the painkillers, I’d get them. He wasn’t meant to be walking around that much. My mum had rung the doctor last night and she said he just needed to rest.

Nate swivelled his head around and seemed to cringe when he looked at me. Did I really look that bad after one night sleep on the couch?

“To get you a hot chocolate,” He sounded just as confused as I did.

I was shocked that he was actually doing it. “I was joking!” I laughed under my breath and Nate just gave me a strained smile.

“It doesn’t matter. I’ll get it anyway” He then started walking away again.

Now I suddenly had energy. I leapt off the couch and darted in front of him, blocking his path.

Nate just sighed impatiently. “What are you doing?”

I eyed him suspiciously, arms crossed. “You go back and lie on that couch, young man”

He gave me a grin and slouched back to the couch. “I am technically one year older than you”

I shook my head and laughed. He’d never let that go.

I came up to the couch and laid next to him to watch the breakfast show. I lost myself in the strange cooking recipies they were teaching and before long Nate was sleeping.

I could hear his heavy breathing and occasional snorts. I laughed each time that happened.

I was about to doze off myself when I heard something that made me freeze. Nate said my name. He said my name so quietly that I barely caught it. I looked down but he was still sleeping. Maybe it was nothing. Maybe I’d heard wrong. But I don’t think I did…