Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Nate and I sprang apart at lightning speed and I turned and faced a very tired looking mum. I hadn’t noticed how close we’d been standing.

“I woke up and came down stairs thinking it was early morning to make breakfast and um…Nate thought there was a burglar so he came down here as well?” I replied my voice going very high. Not the best thing to do when your lying.

My mother’s eyes flickered between Nate and me, then sighed.

“Well go back to bed or watch a movie. I don’t care, just keep it down. How are you feeling Nate? Is your chest still sore?” My mother asked sounding like she didn’t really care.

“No I’m fine Mrs Sheara. It’s just bruised” He replied.

“And you Amy” She turned and faced me. “How is you head?”

“It hurts a little, not that much” I lied quickly. Actually my head had been killing me. I wondered why it hurt so much.

And with that my mum shuffled away back up the stairs.

I stood  very still and kept my eyes on Nate. He seemed to accesses the situation with wary eyes. Was he going to kiss me before? Or not? I…I didn’t know what to do.

“Want to watch a movie?” I suggested lightly.

“No, it’s ok. It’s pretty late, I should head back to bed” Nate sighed unhappily.

“Is something wrong?” I asked him politely.

He turned to me with a pained look.

“Yeah, there is something wrong but I-“ He started to pace back and forth and I got dizzy just watching him.

“I lied before” I said quietly.

“What?” Nate lifted his head up with a confused expression.

“Your brother didn’t tell me that you hated cheese” I confessed.

“He didn’t?” Nate’s voice had an edge of panic in it.

“He ur…I don’t know why he said it but he said you ….liked me” I mumbled out.

Nate froze and went stiff for a only a second before a grin spread across his face.

“Of course I like you! You’re my best friend!” He laughed, but it seemed forced.

I shook my head feeling like I was going to throw up.

“No, I know he’s lying but he said you like me” I said putting in the extra emphasis.

“Oh” Nate said grin disappearing.

I looked down at the floor feeling very sick.

“That’s what you thought? Well he’s lying Amy! I’d never like you more than a friend” He laughed and then stopped.

My blood went cold and my stomach rolled over. My chest was hurting and I felt horrible. Had I wanted him to say it was true? I felt so stupid! Why did I let Jacob get to me like that?! 

I had really thought for a moment he’d wanted to kiss me! Why was I so stupid!

I could feel myself shaking and I tried to calm myself. You didn’t want him to like you. He’s your friend, nothing more. But I could feel tears swimming in my eyes. Stop this! He obviously thought the idea of him liking you was stupid. He even laughed. So stop getting so upset.

“Amy, I didn’t mean to say it like that! I just mean that you’re…just my best friend” He told me worrying he’d upset me.

I looked up and put on the happiest face I could.

“Oh I know. I just knew Jacob was being stupid! I was just telling you so you can go beat him up” I laughed but pain trickled through my voice.

Relief washed over Nate’s face. “Hah! Thanks. Hey you want to watch a movie? I’m up for it now”

I shook my head weakly. “Too tired. I’m going to bed. I could feel tears threatening to spill over and ran back upstairs before he could reply.

I ran into my room and hid under the covers and let myself cry out everything.

Why did it feel like my heart had been broken? I’d never been in love with Nate. And I was sure that he liked me more than a friend. It made me feel special and now…

I let myself cry more and kept telling myself how stupid I was to believe Jacob. I hated him! This wouldn’t have happened if it weren’t for him.

I kept sobbing quietly under my pillow.

I heard a light knock on the door.

“Amy?” I went silent at the sweet soothing sound of Nate’s voice, even though it was only sprinkling salt on the wound.

“Can I come in?”

Hey everyone! Sorry for such a short chapter! That was a bit different wasn’t it? Anyway! Comment vote and whatever!

Enjoy!