Chapter 21

What’s this? A new chapter? After like nearly a year or something? Say whaaaaa….? Ok so to be honest I really gave up on this story, life caught up with me in school and suddenly wattpad really didn’t exist anymore xD In fact I almost forgot I had written this until I found it on my laptop and of course I realized I really did want to finish it, even if no one would read it since I had such a long long long break without warning. Apologies there, so if you are reading this then just know I feel pretty bad about leaving you hanging.

I dunno if I’ve lost my touch with the story of it’ll be in the same style but I’m sure maybe one of you will appreciate a few chapters to conclude. If not, well then as I said I want to finish it myself, a sort of goal.

 So again, a million apologies, and if you don’t see this message and new chapter, well I am telepathically sending you my regrets xD Ok. Here we go. May be a little rusy. I should start writing. Stop talking. Ok. Start!

Zoeamar

Chapter 21

I trudged back around the corner, not feeling like standing in that room anymore. What was the point? I was in now way going to congratulate the happy family and it looked like Nate and Jacob wouldn’t talk to me anyway.

My eyes glanced up at the twins who were clinging to my door. The expression on my face must have been worse than I thought as I could already see their mouths trembling.

“Mission failed” I mumbled dejectedly.

Their wails pierced my ears. “Why? How? What?”

I blinked and took a sharp inhale. Then somehow managed to shrug.

This was ok. This was alright. I was strong and was not letting something like this take over my emotions.

Jessica and Jamie on the other hand were sobbing like they’d just watched Titanic. For a moment I went to criticize their obsession with Jacob but hesitated when I realized I had no right.

After all, they probably had become close friends with him, surely I was the one who should be empathizing with them.

I took another breath. “Come on. Let’s go downstairs”

They both whined and shook their heads.

“We look stupid! Our make up is running!”

Wiping some of their tears I gave a half smile. “Well won’t that make the parents feel guilty?”

Jessica sniffed. “It will?”

I needed to give them something to hold onto. “Sure. We’ll figure something out”

Jamie crossed her arms, collapsing her head on her siblings shoulder.

“But what? They’re leaving forever!”

My nose twitched, a warning of the emotion I was holding back.

“I promise that they won’t just leave. We will see them again. Trust me”

Both girls nodded. After all, it was desperation that made them believe my half-hearted promise.

The walk back towards the stairs was quiet. Describing how I felt was hard, I was starting to feel numb. A tingling sensation crawling across my face that lingered near my eyes.

I had become a figure of calm for these two kids. That was my responsibility. If I could keep my focus on them then maybe I’d get through this unscathed. I could see off the family without resentment and treasure the memories I had, even if the most recent were painful.