T W E N T Y - S I X

26I N A Y A

26
I N A Y A

˚✧₊⁎⁺˳✧༚

THERE WAS uncertainty in her brown eyes. They studied him for a few moments, as if making a conclusion and unraveling everything about him just with her hesitant gaze. It wasn't until Irene scolded her younger sister for doing such that she stopped and averted her attention towards her.

Something Levi noticed almost immediately was how Inaya had a glint of sadness behind her eyes as soon as she looked at Irene. She still smiled, as if trying to mask it, but he caught it right on time, and it made him wonder what she was pondering about.

"Levi," Irene spoke up, his gaze immediately diverting to her, "this is Inaya, my younger sister. Inaya, this is Levi Ackerman."

He looked back at her sister and gave a small nod of his head as he held his hand out. "It's nice to meet you," he greeted politely, knowing if he made a bad impression on her sister, it could possibly influence Irene's view of him.

Inaya glanced at his hand before shaking it. She offered a hesitant smile, the glint of sadness never wavering. "Yeah, you too," she responded curtly, her eyes diverting over to her sister, "I've heard a few things about you from Irene."

His heart picked up its speed as he retracted his hand, his eyes traveling to Irene, who gave a kind smile. "Oh?"

Her sister laughed gently and hummed as Irene rolled her eyes. "I really appreciate you helping my sister out when she was upset," Inaya thanked polity, causing his attention to go back to her.

He felt somewhat disappointed, but gave a small nod. The memories of that night tided in, and he felt the dancing in his stomach once again, his skin growing warm. He wondered if Irene had told her about how he held her, how he carried her to her bed, how Irene gave curt information about their parents.

Levi brushed it aside, not wanting to ponder on it for longer than he needed to. He didn't want to, especially since he knew it wasn't right for him to have feelings and thoughts such as those.

He wasn't too sure what to respond with. He didn't want to mention he did it because he was friends with her, especially due to the fact he didn't even see her as just that anymore. "I'm glad she's doing better now," he spoke honestly, allowing his stoic persona to falter to reveal his true feelings.

Even if he couldn't completely get his feelings across, he genuinely meant his words and was okay with that. It satisfied Inaya because she nodded her head, her light-brown curls bouncing slightly. As for Irene, she didn't give much of a reaction, simply flashing a gentle smile, hazel eyes twinkling.

"We should get something to eat," Inaya spoke up, flashing a more cheeky smile as she looked at the two.

Irene nodded her head in agreement, her eyes averting towards Levi, who remained silent, unsure of what to say. "Have you eaten, Levi?" she asked, her tone of voice almost making it seem like she would scold him if he replied with the wrong answer.