E I G H T E E N

18A N  O P E N B O O K

18
A N O P E N B O O K

˚✧₊⁎⁺˳✧༚

IT WAS DARK OUT when the two had exited the buffet. The many lanterns illuminated the area which gave it a tranquil setting provided a large amount of light so peers could get through. There were more people than there was when they entered the buffet, it was a bit crowded, but the two were still able to walk through with ease.

"Man! That was good. How'd you like it, Levi?" Irene asked, turning over towards the raven-haired man. A bright smile flourished across her face, matching her gleaming eyes.

Levi turned away from Irene and towards the buffet they had just exited from. He couldn't help but feel embarrassed. He felt flustered.

He didn't expect different courses of food from different parts of the world to be set out. After Irene had questioned if he knew what certain food was and found out he didn't, she had made him try different types. Going as far as to put a churro in his mouth after he had refused it.

Remembering the new, different experience made him feel vulnerable. It caused a small, pale pink tint to make its way to his cheeks.

He wasn't even entirely sure how much it costed. Even as he offered to pay, Irene refused and payed for everything, not seeming bothered by the total.

"It was okay," he muttered, keeping his head away from Irene so she wouldn't see the color on his cheeks. He couldn't comprehend how she wasn't reacting as he did. Perhaps it was just his ego and pride that had gotten in the way of his sight.

A giggle came from her. "Whatever you say, Levi," she teased, voice light-hearted and soothing. It made Levi unconsciously release a scoff, but he still turned back over to her once he felt the heat from his cheeks leave.

"Let's just get going. I'm exhausted and want to take a shower," he said, all his fatigue crashing into him. He, in fact, was tired. He felt as if he would collapse at any moment.

Irene nodded, her smile softening. He saw the weary look in her eyes, indicating she was exhausted as well. "Yeah, let's get going." She turned and began to walk away. Levi walked next to her, hands in his pocket.

He knew he wasn't going to rest as soon as he got to his apartment. He would instead just lay awake, staring at his ceiling or have a smoke. For Levi, it was the latter. He hadn't smoked all day and it made him feel uneasy. The dinner had been a distraction, and he had them in his pockets, but he wasn't going to smoke in front of her. He never smoked in front of anyone truth be told. The only exception was Furlan, but even with him he tried to avoid it.

A laugh came from Irene making his eyes divert towards her. A smile she tried to suppress was evident on her face. "When a worker asked if I was your girlfriend and I declined before you could speak, that was hilarious."