N I N E T E E N

19C H O I C E S

19
C H O I C E S

˚✧₊⁎⁺˳✧༚

THE SUN WAS BLAZING. It's rays burned holes into Levi, so he was thankful he had stubbornly accepted the sunscreen from his patrol officer. Even as he wore it, he could still feel the piercing sensation of the heat that touched him.

He wondered if he had worn long sleeves instead of a short-sleeved shirt, if he would have been cooler. If the sleeves would serve as a shield from the blazing sun that boiled everyone outside alive. He thought about it so he wouldn't think about the heat.

Once again, it was humid and the lack of breeze didn't help it. Neither did the bright sun. He could feel his skin becoming sticky and all he wanted to do was take a cold shower.

The raven-haired man grabbed the last piece of trash in his section and released a sigh no one could hear. He grabbed the white rag that was hanging by his side and used it to wipe the sweat off his face and neck.

His attention diverted towards the taller man that loomed over him. His silhouette created a shade spot for Levi. The shorter wasn't necessarily grateful, as the major height differences were now evident. Yet, he bit his tongue to avoid making trouble that wasn't needed.

"Finished, Ackerman?" Mike asked, his eyes scanning his side of work.

Levi bit back his sass, remembering he didn't need to do extra work. The area he had worked on was a reminder to keep his mouth shut. He had finished his original side of work long ago, but he couldn't help but to grow angry at the others around him. Because he didn't bite back his remarks, he'd faced the consequences of extra labor.

"All right." Mike nodded in satisfaction when Levi replied curtly with a 'yes.' He didn't spare him a glance as he began to walk away. Levi walked next to him, holding his equipment and bag of trash.

Once he had thrown the trash into the large garbage disposal, Mike released him, giving him a brief 'stay out of trouble' as he always did.

Levi left once returning the equipment and washing his hands. As he made his way to the train station, he cursed at himself for having to stay extra time. He didn't like that he had to stay out in the blazing heat for an extra hour.

Once he got on the train, he scurried to the last empty seat. It was rare for there to be any seat available, so he made sure to take it. He pulled out his phone and began to scan his schedule. He had finished his week of community service, but he still had an actual job.

It had been two days since he saw Irene. He had driven her to her apartment and parked her van before getting off and beginning to walk home. When she offered to drive him, he said he wanted to walk in a peaceful silence. Levi knew that she would most likely cry when she allowed herself to relax. It's why he decided to walk, even if it was almost an hour away. He didn't want to be there when she broke down.