F I V E

05G A M B L E S   A N D   I N T U I T I O N

05
G A M B L E S A N D   I N T U I T I O N

˚✧₊⁎⁺˳✧༚

   LEVI IMPATIENTLY TAPPED his fingers on his arms. He hated himself for getting to the point where one of Hanji's friends had to hire him. It made him feel angered, and it irked him how she didn't even bother to ask him, only acting as if he was never there while she begged Irene to do so. Even Irene didn't even get much of a choice, only agreeing after Hanji pressured her to.

He didn't even understand what she did. Judging by the camera around her neck, he figured it had something to do with photography, or maybe videos.

Now, he waited on the park bench where they decided to meet. He was a few minutes earlier than he was supposed to be, but he rather be early than late. She didn't seem like the type to be tardy, and he sure hoped not.

Levi heaved a calm sigh. Tranquility lingered in the atmosphere and it was something he was grateful for. The peaceful silence and how there were hardly any people around him. There were still water puddles from the earlier shower that had happened, and the scent of after rain still lingered. Even if it was disgustingly humid again, so muggy you could see it in the air, it was the thin breeze that somehow made it tolerable. At the same time, it made Levi want to be in the comfort of his own home that had air conditioning.

The sound of shoes gently hitting the concrete alerted him that someone was near. Levi perked his head up and turned towards his right where Irene walked quietly to him, almost as if she didn't want to disturb him. He spotted the umbrella that was in her hoodie pocket. Some water droplets were visible showing she got caught in the rain.

"Did I keep you waiting?" Irene asked, a frown painting her face. Her hazel eyes softened and showed glints of guilt.

Levi felt somewhat vexed at how she seemed so helpless. He didn't know why. He just did. "No," he replied monotonously. It made her frown disappear and for her to give a small nod. "I arrived a few minutes early."

Irene hummed, nodding again. Her eyes scanned the Garrison Park, and she released a sigh. "Honestly, I'm not even sure what to do," she admitted, looking back over at Levi who stayed seated on the bench, already aware of what was to come.

He knew that was going to happen; Hanji had forced her to hire him without much choice. "That's fine," Levi assured, getting up and unfolding his arms. The only reason why he showed up was to clear everything up after all.

"I didn't say I did not have a job for you, Levi," Irene added with a small smile. "Hanji told me a little bit about you, and even now I'm still not completely sure what to do. So, if you'd like, you can be my assistant."

Levi stared at her with a stoic expression. Irene rubbed her arm as he cocked up an eyebrow. "Why would I want to be following you around like a lost puppy?" he questioned, unimpressed with the job offer. In fact, he was a bit pissed at the fact she'd even offer something like that.