39

This is the second from last chapter, you're going to think it escalates really quickly but it will all make sense in the next chapter so just keep reading.

*****

"Bella, have you seen my glasses?" My dad asked in a rush as he pulled the pillows off of the chair. "I have to leave in a minute and I can't find them anywhere."

I shook my head, my eyes focusing on my phone. "Have you checked on top of the microwave?" I asked and he turned around, straight away running into the kitchen.

Seconds later, he shouted. "Thank you!" And then he came running back with my mum walking behind him. "We'll be back in the morning. There's money on the kitchen top."

I nodded as he kissed my forehead, then my mum waved goodbye and shortly after, they were gone. I sighed, slouching on the chair as I continued to look at my phone.

"Bella Smith." I suddenly heard Cody call. I lifted my head up abruptly to find him stood by the doorway with a small smile on his face, but something wasn't quite right in his eyes. "Your parents let me in." He spoke as I was about to ask.

"Oh." I smiled, standing up

 "Come on a walk with me." He said, placing his hands in his pockets. I nodded, taking my coat from the side of the chair.

"Is everything okay?" I asked once I slid it on. Cody nodded, shutting the door behind us both. I quickly locked it and we were off. He was tense the whole way, something about him seemed wrong, but I didn't ask again.

He pulled a cigarette from the back of his pocket and lit it. He noticed the look of disappointment on my face when he blew the smoke from the back of his throat. "Don't give me that look, Bella. Not today." He sighed.

I rolled my eyes and we walked around the corner. He took a long drag of his cigarette, then flicked the ash onto the floor once he exhaled.

We walked quite a while, silence over taking us both. Cody didn't take my hand, and I didn't bother to take his. My eyes were glued to the ground as I listened to the sound of our footsteps, walking in the same motion as each others.

"You love it here." I quietly said once we reached the abandoned train station. The sun was setting and the sky was a faded colour of orange.

"You'll see why in a second." He suddenly spoke, a change of attitude in his voice when he dropped his cigarette and stood on it. I watched him, surprise on my face when he lightly took my hand, lacing his fingers between mine. "Come on."

I followed him up the stairs to the roof where there was a clear setting of the sky and the town. I could see the cars, suddenly looking a lot smaller than they would if we were downstairs. This setting looks a lot nicer.

"You're wearing your glasses." He chuckled, placing his thumb and his forefinger softly against the edge of them. "I really love it when you wear them."

I smiled, my cheeks heating when my head fell towards the ground. We both sat opposite each other and Cody bit his lip, suddenly twiddling his thumbs as he searched for something to say.

He cleared his throat and pushed his fingers through his hair. "I got you something."

"I didn't realise this was an occasion." I said, curiously but he shook his head and leaned forward so he could take something out of his back pocket.

"This isn't an occasion." He chuckled, softly. I looked at him curiously as he handed me the small box, which I took, but didn't open. Not straight away, anyway.

"I'm scared to open it." I nervously laughed, my hands beginning to shake as I fumbled for the box lid. "Is my life going to completely change after this?" I grinned.