38

Bella Smith.

"It's cold today." I quietly said as I rolled out of bed and walked over to my door, grabbing my sweater from the back of it. "Which is annoying, considering it's summer."

I turned around to find Cody stood behind me with a smile on his face. It was only now I realized how much taller than me he was, I literally have to look up to see him and he has to look down, but I've always liked a taller guy.

"Cold mornings are better, I have an excuse to hug you." He happily said, wrapping his arms around my waist. I rested my head against his shoulder and laughed into the fabric of his shirt.

"You can do that anyway." I said as I hugged him back, my hands resting around him.

"True." He mumbled into my ear and I shut my eyes for a moment. "You're really cold." He chuckled, hugging me tighter.

"I know I am." I let out a small laugh as we both pulled away but he continued holding onto my hand, his fingers warming mine. "Breakfast?" I asked and he nodded his head.

"Breakfast." He agreed and we walked out of the room together. Cody slowly followed behind me as we walked down the stairs and into the main room where straight away I saw somebody I did not want to see, especially this early.

"Bella." My mom stood up, a concerned look upon her face.

I felt Cody take my hand again and I looked behind me for a second, noticing he looked just as confused as I did. Ryan then stood up, a look of nervousness upon his face the second he noticed Cody.

"What are you doing here?" I asked.

"Um, I.. Um." He cleared his throat and started again. "I came to talk to you."

I turned to Cody and I saw his jaw tighten, his hand tightening against mine. Then I turned back. "Now?"

Ryan awkwardly nodded and I didn't know what to do.

"Bella, the boy has come to apologize. You should at least talk to him." Said my dad.

I bit my lip and watched my parents as they both walked out of the room together, leaving us all alone in one room. Ryan still had a bruised eye and he had a band aid placed just over the corner of his eyebrow.

"Bella, I'm going to, uh.. Wait outside." Cody said, his hand loosening but I quickly pulled him back, not wanting to be alone. It was a very selfish move, but I couldn't help wanting him to be with me.

"Please stay." I quietly said, stroking my thumb against the back of his hand.

He sighed, looking towards Ryan awkwardly.

"Look, what I said the other night was way out of line. I shouldn't have put our friendship on the line like that. I really value our friendship and if you want to be with Cody then I will respect that. I promise I will. Just, please, don't stop being friends with me."

I stayed silent for a moment, unsure on what to say. I thought about last night, about what Cody said to me about being friends with Ryan, and since I value his opinion so much, I took it.

"Okay." I quietly said and I think I saw him smile, but he flinched soon after, placing his finger against the band aid on his eyebrow. "If you fuck up once more, I will never speak to you again. I mean it this time."

"Thank you, Bella. It means a lot.. Really.." He hesitated for a moment, slowly standing forward, but he took a small step back again and I think it's because Cody scowled at him. "And I'm sorry to you, too.. For provoking you. It was wrong, and childish and really stupid of me." He bit his lip when Cody pulled me by his side.