34

"Bella, you've barely touched your food." My mom said from across the table. I lifted my head up slightly, her concerned eyes meeting mine. "What's the matter?"

"Nothing, I'm just not hungry." I said, but something in her eye showed how she didn't believe me. "I'm fine, mom. Promise." I smiled.

"So, are you and Cody still seeing each other?" My dad suddenly asked, changing the subject.

"Yes." I responded, sharply even though I wasn't quite sure, we hadn't spoke about it properly since the other night. He rolled his eyes, looking back towards his plate. "Can I be excused?" I asked, but my mom shook her head.

"Collin, behave." She snapped, then looked towards me. "Eat your vegetables at least, Bella."

I sighed, scraping the food on my plate to one side with my fork.

"I'm just saying, Danielle." My dad pushed his plate back, slightly. "I always thought she would be with someone like.. Ryan, not somebody who makes her ditch school."

"I am here." I lifted my head up, dropping my fork against the plate. "Me and Ryan have talked, we like being friends and nothing more. I'm with Cody, okay? Deal with it."

"No, I can't deal with it, Arabella!" He crossed his arms in a huff. "You're just going through one of those phases, you'll get over it."

"Ooh, Arabella. Someone's mad." I said, pushing my chair back, but my mom scowled at me, meaning I should stay. "What we have, it isn't a phase."

"How would you know? You're only seventeen."

"Because I love him, that's how!" I snapped, causing both my mom and my dad to throw their heads towards me. "It's not a fucking phase."

"Language!" My mom shouted, placing her cutlery to one side of her plate. "Jesus, Bella. I don't want to hear you speak like that again. Do you understand me?" She asked and I nodded, slowly. "Apologize to your dad."

"Not until he apologizes to me." I retaliated and both me and my dad looked at each other, everything silencing.

My mom opened her mouth to speak, but got cut off by the doorbell.

"I'll get it." I quickly jumped up before either of them could argue with me, and I ran to the door, pulling it open to find Codys mom stood on the other side, trying to shield herself from the rain thats pouring down behind her.

"Bella," Her face suddenly lit up, but I stood, confused. She shivered, slightly so I opened the door further, allowing her to step inside. "Thank you." She said as I closed the door.

"Can I help you?" I asked.

"Yes, actually." She said, looking around the room, awkwardly. "I can't get in touch with Cody, he's not answering his phone and he's not home. Is he here?"

I shook my head, suddenly getting a feeling of nervousness, deep in the pit of my stomach. "I spoke to him a couple of hours ago, but he was reading at home."

"Oh," She quietly answered, looking really nervous. "If you hear from him, can you let me know?" She asked and I nodded, instantly.

She smiled, walking back out of the door and closing it behind her, and without thinking, I slid my shoes on and grabbed my coat from the bannister.

"Where do you think you're going?" My mom asked, standing by the doorway when I was about to open the door. "And who was at the door?"

"I'll explain later." I quickly said, shutting the door behind her before she could argue back or try to stop me.