Chapter 30

Keith's pov

It felt like I had been punched in the gut.

"James..." I managed, stepping out onto the porch and closing the door behind me.

He stood there, a smirk resting on his face.

"What are you doing here?" I asked.

I didn't think I'd ever see James again. I didn't want to after what Lance had said he did.

"Keith! It took me so long to find your address! I just moved here with my family, and I thought I'd look for you, since I knew you were in L.A. too. I mean, I know when you left I was kind of angry with you and stuff, but after thinking it over, I realized you were right. Long distance almost never worked out. That's why I was so happy when I found out my dad got a job here. Now we can be together again!"

I sighed, glancing at Lance's house, just across the street. What would he think if he saw me talking to my ex?

"Listen, James, I would have to think about it. I mean, it's all so sudden, you didn't even text me, you just showed up."

He shrugged. "Well, yeah. But I wanted to surprise you. I thought you didn't want to break up with me, I thought you just did because of the distance thing."

He paused for a moment before continuing.

"Here, how about this. I take you out tonight. If by the end of the night, you don't want to get back together, fine. I won't push. But maybe...I can change your mind?"

I sighed. "I'm sorry James. I'm a little busy tonight. I'm..." I trailed off.

I didn't want to mention I was going on a date. And I really didn't want to mention who I was going out with. He looked at my outfit.

"Oh. You're going on a date...aren't you?"

I sighed. "I'm sorry James."

I wasn't really sorry, but I didn't really eant to make a scene right now. Especially when Lance's front door could open at any moment.

"It's whatever. I mean, it's been almost a year since you moved here. I understand that you're putting yourself out there and such."

I managed a small smile. "Thank you James."

He nodded. The front door to Lance's house opened, and I saw him in the doorway, but he had looked this way yet. I still had a chance to get rid of James.

But then, he did something I didn't expect.

He grabbed my face, pulled me forward and connected our lips.

Lance's pov

"Alright, I know Mama. Now seriously, I need to go before I'm late."

I waved goodbye and turned to leave.

That's when I saw them.

My boyfriend and someone else, lip locked on his porch.

It felt like a stab to the gut. I didn't think Keith was that kind of guy.

Finally they parted, and the one stumbled back a bit, before putting his hood up and rushing back to his car and driving off.

Keith looked up and noticed me staring, and his face fell.

I felt tears sting my eyes. I guess he was that kind of guy.

He rushed forward, heading for my house. I slammed the door shut, letting the picnic basket in my arms fall to the ground.

I ran back up to my room, ignoring the calls from my family.

I closed the door and immediately I collapsed to the floor.

I became a mess of tears and sobs, replaying the scene in my head.

My boyfriend...

on his porch...

kissing another guy.

I couldn't believe it.

My phone started to blow up. I took one glance to see who it was.

Keith.

I threw it across the room, not wanting to see the messages come up. Probably apologies. No one wanted to get caught cheating. And people would say anything to win back the trust.

There was a small knock on the door. I half expected Keith's voice to be on the other side, but it was Veronica's voice that came instead.

"Lance? Can I come in?"

"Yeah, whatever." I called, burying my face into my knees, which I hugged to my chest.

I heard the door open and close, and then I felt arms wrap around me.

"Lance, I'm always here for you, and you know that...but you need to tell me what happened." She held me at arm's length, and I sniffled.

"Well...I was leaving to pick Keith up for our date, because we decided on telling everyone, and I wanted to take him for a picnic. So, when I went to leave...I saw Keith on his porch...kissing another guy."

Veronica inhaled sharply.

She was very protective of her family. Whenever she found out about someone hurting her family, didn't matter how, she would rip them to shreds.

"Lance...I'm so sorry."

I shrugged. "It's...fine. I'm...fine."

But that couldn't be farther from the truth. I wasn't fine. I was hurt. I wanted to punch something. I wanted to face Keith, and yell at him, and tell him I never wanted to see his stupid, cheating face again.

But I couldn't. I would break down if I looked at Keith right now. Even thinking about him was enough to make me cry. How could I face him and tell him off, if thinking about him made me cry this much? But still...I couldn't help it. I couldn't help but think of all the fun times we had.

I never would have thought Keith could do something like this. He said that after what his mother had done to them, he was loyal. He didn't abandon people, wouldn't that mean he wouldn't cheat? After all, isn't cheating just like abandoning someone?

"I'm going to eviscerate him." Veronica growled.

She stood and left the room, slamming the door behind her.

I brought my feet a little closer to myself, and let the tears fall now that I was alone again.