Chapter 3

Keith's pov

I yawned as I waited for the bus to arrive. Who decided it was reasonable to start school at the ungodly hour 7am? I had to be out the door by 6 just to catch the bus.

When the bus finally came, were no seats available that weren't next to someone. I sighed and sat next to a guy I recognized from school who was reading. He looked up but didn't say anything. I shifted uncomfortably as he stared at me. Finally, he went back to his reading.

I shuddered slightly. I hated sitting next to people on the bus. I listened to music and watched as people got on and got off.

Once I was at the school, I made my way to homeroom, and took a seat in the back.

After a little while, I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned to find Romelle standing behind me with a huge grin. I smiled and she sat down next to me.

Romelle and I had known each other since we were kids. Our parents were friends. She's like my sister, and growing up we were attached at the hip. She's also the only one I've come out to.

"How are you?"

"Tired, but when am I not?"

She chuckled. "Up all night talking to Lance I'm guessing."

I hit her lightly on the arm. "Oh shut up. Yes I was. He's just so-"

"Handsome, funny, cute, hot, kind, caring, sweet, goofy, oblivious, adorable, lovable." She listed on her fingers as she went along.

I rolled my eyes, but I was smiling. "Shut up! And I've never called him hot!"

She laughed. "Not out loud."

I could feel my cheeks heat up.

"I knew it."

"Oh whatever."

The teacher cleared his throat, making it clear he was starting class. We turned ourselves so we were facing the front, and he began the lesson.

***

I walked through the front door, and was about to go to my room, when I heard Shiro call my name. I walked into the living room and sat on the couch across from him.

"Yeah?"

He took a deep breath, and I could tell it was something serious.

"Shiro...what's wrong?"

He looked up at me. "Keith...we need to talk about your grades. They're even worse than before. What's happened? I thought you said you were handing stuff in."

I shook my head. "I'm working on it, trust me."

"I need more than that Keith."

"Just give me until the end of the semester, I can pull through."

Shiro shook his head. "I've arranged for you to get a tutor, and I'm taking your phone until your grades are better."

I stood up and shook my head. "No, no you can't do that. Do anything but that."

Shiro stood too. "Keith, just give me the phone. If you get your grades up, you can have your phone back."

I backed away from him. "If I don't have my phone I can't talk to La-" I stopped myself, and Shiro raised an eyebrow.

"Keith, whoever it is you can talk to them in school." I shook my head. "I can't."

Shiro sighed. "What do you mean you can't?"

"I just...can't"

"And why can't you?"

"Because...they don't go to my school."