Chapter 13

WARNING

ok so real quick at the end of this chapter, it starts to deal with some pretty triggering stuff. it implies self harm. i'll put a warning in bold before it gets to it so anyone who finds mentions of self harm triggering can skip over to the next chapter.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Keith's pov

James: hey. ik ur still pretty upset about lance not showing yesterday. i was wondering if u wanted to hang out today, try and take ur mind off of it

Keith: yea, id like that. can u pick me up tho?

James: yea np, see u in about 10?

Keith: yea sounds good see u soon

I pulled on a sweater, and ran my fingers through my hair. It was still a bit messy, but I didn't really feel like completely brushing through it.

I sighed as I grabbed my phone and walked downstairs. I pulled out my shoes and waited on the porch for James to get there.

Finally, he pulled into my driveway. I climbed into his car and gave him a quick kiss before he drove off.

We drove to his apartment building and began walking hand in hand down the streets, and stopped at Schmackary's for some cookies.
James put an arm around me as we strolled out and through the streets of New York.

I felt my lips curve into a smile. Yeah, I was still upset about Lance not showing, but I was still happy to be able to spend an entire afternoon with James. I hadn't felt like this in a long time.

My thoughts kept drifting to the night before. I shook my head to clear my thoughts as we walked along.

"You alright babe?"

I nodded. "I'm fine. I just...can't seem to take my mind off of yesterday. I mean, I understand why he didn't show. He had to leave his trip early due to a family emergency."

He nodded and pulled me a little closer to him. "It's alright. I'm sure you guys will be able to meet up sometime soon."

I just nodded. He stopped and took his hands in mine. "Hey...it'll be alright. I'm sorry everything fell through again. But I know you guys will be able to see each other soon."

I smiled, and he wrapped me in a hug. There was a small comotion across the street, and we separated to see what was happening.

There was a boy around our age, standing up with his back to us, yelling at two other teens on the bench, also around our age.

As I looked closer I realized that the two teens on the bench were Hunk and Pidge, Lance's friends. I recognized them from photos of the three of them.

As I looked closer, it almost looked like the boy who was yelling at them was Lance, but I couldn't be sure it was him.

"Wait a second..." I mumbled.

James raised an eyebrow and grabbed my hand. "What is it?"

"That boy...he looks like Lance..."

I rushed across the street, weaving through cars. Pidge seemed to notice and said something to Lance.

He looked back quickly, and met my eyes for only a second, before pulling up his hood. He started running, Pidge and Hunk running after him, trying to catch up, shouting things to him.

By the time I reached the other side of the street, they were already gone.

I felt tears sting my eyes. Why had Lance lied to me about going back to California? Was he avoiding me? Why?

I felt myself start to sink to the ground. A pair of arms caught me before I could fall.

"Keith! Woah!"

I turned to see James standing there, concern painted across his face.

I started to sob. I was able to deal with Lance having to leave, but if I was right, and that was Lance, then him lying to me just made everything hurt more.

What reason did he have for lying? Why didn't he show?

James just held me as I cried into his shoulder, softly running his fingers through my hair occasionally.

My phone went off in my pocket. I pulled away from James' grip as I checked the notification.

It was from Lance.

I took a deep breath as I opened the message...

LoverboyLance: hey keith, im not going to be able to be online for a bit.

Keith_Kogane: what? why? does this have something to do with u ignoring me and lying to me? what did i do? did i do something wrong?

LoverboyLance: no keith, u did nothing wrong...i just cant be online right now...im sorry i cant give u a better explanation...

Keith_Kogane: lance i get that u dont want to explain, but im really worried about u

Keith_Kogane: lance??

Keith_Kogane: lance please answer me

Keith_Kogane: lance...

I felt more tears make their way down my face as I sunk into James' comforting arms once again.

Soon, those few tears turned into sobs. People walking by were looking at us, but I didn't care.

Lance and I had been so close, and now he was just dropping me from his life.

James slowly led me to his car. I cried the whole ride home. James helped me inside, and set me down on the couch, and wrapped a blanket around me.

I kept crying even after James had left, and I got no sleep that night, thinking about how Lance had just decided to leave, and probably never return.

*trigger warning,,skip to the next chapter*

I turned over in my bed and something on the dresser caught my eye.

Something I hadn't picked up in a while.

Something I hadn't used since before I met Lance.

I felt a strong urge to use it once more. It was too much for me to resist.

I took a deep breath and made my way over to my dresser, picking up my razor blade...