Chapter 10 - In his arms

A few days passed and I didn’t hear from Matt, until last night. But I’ve been spending every day with Declan and I’ve been laughing more than I did my entire life!

“You’re so bad at this!” he laughed at me as I have lost every game of poker so far.

“Yeah, laugh all you want to, but you’re not getting kissed afterwards.” I teased

“We might as well have made it strip poker” he winked.

“Shut up.” I threw in my hand of cards and got up to the kitchen to get a drink.

As I was filling a glass with Brandy I felt his hands on my waist wrapping me up and giving my left shoulder light kisses.

“Are you sure you need a drink that desperately?” he whispered

“Or I can just get drunk on your lips.” I flirted

“That could work” he spun me around and kissed me twice lightly “What’s bothering you?”

The text from Matt! “nothing.” I said instead

He looked straight into my eyes, doubting me but also trusting me and then I didn’t realize I was frowning until he thumb traced a crease between my eyebrows.

I sighed “Matthew sent me a text last night… well a couple actually.” I avoided his eyes.

“Saying what?”

“I love you; I’m in love with you, Cordelia.’ That’s one and then the other said ‘baby girl just let me show you how much’”

He stayed silent for a minute as I stood in front of him impatiently.

“What are you thinking?” I asked desperately

“That we should report him to the school board,”

“Not an option!” I disagreed “My name’s on the line as well. They’ll look at me like I’m a… a…” I couldn’t even say it let alone think it before the tears started to fall.

Before I could even wipe them off, Declan had wrapped his arms around me, hugging me tightly, kissing the top of my head. “It’s okay, baby, shh, you’re okay.”

I cried hard, feeling nausea in every cell of my being, and dropped to my knees, forcing him with me to the floor, still wrapped up in him.

How could I have ever led him on? Someone that much older than me? It’s still sickens me to think of the whole thing.

“I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be! He’s the pig here. What a mutt!” he ran his fingers through my hair soothingly. “Baby, please stop crying…”

I let out a few shuddered breaths trying to calm down.

“Here’s what we’ll do, we’ll get you a new number and talk to your guidance counselor into changing your instructor.”

“Would that work?” I rasped out a bit hopeful

“Yeah, sure it will. Not get up, wash your face and get a cup for water.” He helped me up and I made my way to the bathroom.

Once I redeemed what’s left of my energy I went back to the living room, feeling my eyes swollen.

“I feel sick.”

“Come on, let’s go for a ride.” He shuffled for his keys and led us to his car. I got in and he started the engine. “Try to fall asleep,” he suggested and I nodded.

I watched as all the streets lights turned on replacing the heavy light of the day, we drove and drove for what felt like hours before I finally gave in and closed my eyes. As I was dozing off I heard him whisper “You’ll be all right, baby, I’m right here… and I love you.”