Chapter 8 - So this is what it feels like

I’ve been spending everyday with Declan, at first it was to make Matthew jealous, but by the end of July, matt hardly ever crossed my mind.

“what are you thinking of?” Declan asked me while we were tanning on the beach.

“How stupid I was to ever fall in love with Matt”

“So you were never in love with him?”

“I… don’t know how to answer this.”

He stayed silent for a moment before he got up. “Come on, let’s take a swim”

“Nice job nutcase, I don’t know how to swim” I snorted at him

“we’ll stay close”

I debated it for a bit then shook my head. “No, you go ahead and I’ll wait for you right here.”

As Declan was off swimming, I was reading a book, Eleanor and Park. And suddenly someone snatched it from my hands; I looked up astonished to see that it was matt.

I kept my sunglasses on, thankful he couldn’t see the horrific look on my face… I haven’t seen him in a while and now, it’s like a slap in the face.

“Hello…” he was smiling from ear to ear. I wanted to smack him in the face!

“Hi… can I have it back please?”

“As soon as you give me back what’s mine”

“What’s yours?”

“My heart” he whispered.

At that Declan was making his way over to us, and he looked at matt with such intensity it made my skin crawl. He was killing him a million time in his head.

“Can I have my book back now?” I repeated.

“Not until…”

“I don’t have your anything; give it back before I fucking lose it!” I was up on my feet and Declan came close to me and put his arm around my shoulders.

“Do we have a problem here?” his voice was stern and strict

“No, not yet anyway” I felt Declan’s touch in a million tiny nerves in my body.

Matt nodded and handed me my book back. I took it harshly and he walked away staring at us.

“Are you okay?” he asked tracing his fingertips along my jaw line.

I looked up slowly at him and nodded, feeling kind of embarrassed.

“Are you sure?”

I reached up on my tiptoes to give him a kiss on the cheek.

It felt like long seconds before he leaned over and kissed my lips. Slow at first and then desperate and hungry, leaving me breathless.

I take a few breaths before I look up at him and smile, confident and say “so that what it feels like…”

“what?” he smiled

“for a kiss to actually mean something…” I hesitated “for it to feel like something”

At that, he pulled me in and kissed me again and again and again, until I forgot where we are.