Chapter 7- I said I love you

Confrontation time for me, myself and I. 

At about 2 am in the morning, I got up turned on my phone cause I felt too restless to even get 5 minutes of sleep.

I found 10 new messages from Matthew.

-          We need to talk. ASAP!

-          Cordy this is driving me crazy, reply to my messages already

-          You know I still think about you all the time

-          Cordelia wake up and call me.

-          Are you with Declan right now?

-          If you are I wish it was me you’re making love to.

I stopped reading now and felt my heart race…. But for whom? The words Matthew wrote about me and him making love, or the part about Declan and me…

As I was trying to calm down and take a few deep breaths, my phone started vibrating. It was Declan.

“It’s 2 in the morning!” I answered with this opening phrase.

“I’m aware, but I had just finished studying and wanted to say good night.” He sounded so tired.

“Good night?” I said giving him a light laugh.

“Yeah… So Cordy, I’ll be done by noon tomorrow, want me to pick you up so we could have lunch or something?”

“Sounds good, I want to soak up all the fun I can before school starts again.”

“You can’t run forever from that forbidden love of yours.”

“I know that. Thanks for the reminder. But the thought of you and I together is driving him insane.”

“He told you that?”

“Yeah, he did. Why?”

“Never mind, we’ll talk about it tomorrow. Go to sleep now.”

“Okay… And Declan?”

“Yeah?”

“Thanks for the kiss.” I said quickly and hung up.

I found myself smiling after I had hung up the phone with Declan and decided to reply to Matt.

-          Sorry for the late reply, but I was just busy. I don’t know when I’ll be available for a talk, but give me a call when you can.

Literally one minute later, he called me up.

“Hello?” I answered cautiously.

“Cordelia, what are you doing?”

“Going to bed… but you called and…”

“I meant with me, with that guy… what’s the deal?” he blew up.

“Need me to remind you that you flirted with me openly, shamelessly, while you were dating Leah? You kissed me; you told me you had feelings for me while you were with someone else. And then you IM me almost every day how I’m your sunshine and you turn out to be dating Brooklyn who seems like she’s lovely, and you won’t do to her what you did to me… Or to Leah.”

“What did I do to you? I have feelings for you. Deep feelings! Don’t you understand?”

“And I thought I was… I thought I love you… But I don’t anymore; I just can’t deal with all that lying and messing around with people’s lives.”

“I love you!”

“What did you just say?” I believe my mind went into shock.

“I love you, Cordy. And that thing with Brooklyn is just physical; it doesn’t mean anything to me.”

“I don’t believe you. I lost all trust I have for you. and I had so much faith in you and your words… I got hurt. I can’t trust you again.”

“We will work on that later and I can explain everything, but the question is… Do you still love me?”

“I hate myself for telling you this, and I hate myself for feeling like I do. But Matt of course I love you!”

“That’s all I need to hear…” He sighed. “Are you with that boy?”

“Declan.”

“Are you?”

I took a deep breath “Not right now.”

“Are you gonna break up with him?”

“Matt… I love him, too. You’re not the only one I have feelings for.” I lied. Or half lied.

“If we need to give us a chance, Declan’s gotta go.”

“I need to go back to sleep… We’ll discuss this later.”

I laid in my bed all night not able to fall asleep… that was not romantic. An “I love you” over the phone is underrated. And lame!

When I was able to fall asleep it was about 6 in the morning, and I was awakened by Declan’s text message saying he’ll be over in 20 minutes.

I took a shower and got dressed quickly. Right when I was done, Declan had arrived.

“Heyyyy!” I threw myself in his arms and he held me tight. “How’d your exam go?”

“Aced it!”

“Of course you did.” I unwrapped myself off him and we walked over to his car. “Where to?”

“Anywhere you want.”

“Actually I am not hungry, can we just go to the mall and shop a little?”

“If that’s what you wanna do.”

I nodded looking at him… his gorgeous smooth honey creamy like some sort of inedible butterscotch hair, and those eyes that are hazel like with the darkest of whiskey… he’s so yummy!

“He told me he loved me… When we hung up he called. I said I loved him too.”

“So you two are now what? Officially a couple?”

“No. I don’t feel in every fiber of my being that I truly wanna be with him… I do have feelings for him but not enough to get me to call him my boyfriend.”

He stayed quiet.

“He wants me to break up with you.”

He laughed. “What did you say to that?”

“I said I can’t do that because I have feelings for you too.”

“One kiss is all it took for you to get hooked, huh?”

“Don’t flatter yourself; I was just lying to him.”

“And I was just teasing you…” he winked at him then looked back at the road.

“Uh-huh, but I bet that kiss kept you up all night… Dreaming about me.”

“You’re a horrible kisser. Why would I stay up thinking about your kiss?”

I gasped “you son of a bitch! I kiss fine.”

“Who gave you your diploma on kissing? Mr Chemistry?”

“Well… Yeah.” I said flashing back in my mind to when we first kissed in class.

We were now in the parking lot when Declan looked at me and smiled. “Snap out of it and let’s have some fun.”