Chapter 12

Tate

I walked out angry, how dare they bring up Mya. I didn't need to be reminded of her she was continually in my thoughts anyway. I intended to walk back to my room but instead I stopped in my tracks hearing her voice. "Who's Mya?" She asked. I tensed waiting for my parents answer, I realised I didn't want her to know because I didn't want her to think badly of me. Fortunately my parents left that for me to decide and didn't explain any of that situation to her.

When my father continued the story I was intrigued. I decided to sit on one of the chairs in the hallway and listen.

The way my dad spoke of her, the kindness she showed to others even though she hadn't been shown it herself astounded me. How anyone could be that giving. I give to charity, throw money at situations when needed but to give of myself, my time so freely and expect nothing in return? I don't think I've ever done that, even when I was with Mya I always held something back, maybe I had pushed her away, but that still isn't any excuse for what she did to me.

I laughed at my father when I heard how he'd screwed her uncle in the contract and again she surprised me by her reaction. I would've have thought she'd be rubbing her hands together in glee at the thought of getting payback, I was, and he hadn't even done anything to me! Instead she felt guilty, she still wanted them to be happy and was even grateful to them. Surely this was an act, no one is that kind and caring, are they? My parents though, they were a great judge of character, they had warned me about Mya and others in the past and I hadn't listened but they had always been right, so surely if they believed her then she must be a genuinely nice girl.

"And that is why we chose you for our son, that kindness, that big warm heart of yours is irreplaceable and so very rare, you don't know how much he needs you." I stood up pacing and then leant against the wall thinking. What my parents said was playing on my mind, it irritated me, they think I need her, I don't need anybody, I will never let myself need anybody again. I was so wrapped up in my own thoughts I didn't hear her leave. I didn't even see her standing there until she made a noise.

The walk back to the bedroom was quiet. To be honest I was a bit shocked that she'd called me a spoilt brat, turns out she was actually a bit feisty and I kinda liked it. I also deserved it but didn't dwell on that for too long. I was also still thinking about the conversation at dinner and everything I had learnt that evening. I was still annoyed at my parents for thinking I needed this girl to be happy, I know they care but I really wish they'd just stay out of it.

When we got back to the room she went straight into the bathroom to get ready for bed. I took everything off but my boxers and laid down on the couch, the least I could do was give her my bed.

When she came out of the bathroom she seemed shocked that I was on the couch, I noticed the slight widening of her eyes when she saw me but I prtended not to notice. She even tried arguing with me but obviously I won that argument, I've never really been one to back down unless it comes to my parents. Finally she huffed and got into bed and I heard the contented sigh leave her lips making me wonder when the last time was that she'd actually laid down on an actual mattress. It felt good to give her that, something so little that I'd taken for granted my whole life but unfortunately the happy feeling it gave me inside did not make this couch any comfier. No matter how much I tossed and turned or how I tried to wrap my feet in the duvet as they were hanging off the end I just couldn't get comfortable. I was so wrapped up in trying to find a way to lay that didn't twist my spine awkwardly that I hadn't noticed her sit up and look at me, it was only when I heard giggling that my eyes snapped up to hers.

Already frustrated by being so damn uncomfortable I huffed and asked her what was so funny at which she burst into laughterr. My mood softened by the sparkle in her eye and the melody leaving her lips, her laugh was amazing. By the time she had finished I was laughing too.