Chapter 25

It's been 3 months since the charity ball after that night Tate went back to his cold demeanour, I've barely seen him and when I do he only just about acknowledges me. Byron and Kitty have been worried about me but if anything I'm pretty happy right now, so Tate is an idiot but the rest of his family are lovely. I honestly feel like I have a mother and father with Kitty and Byron I can go to them for anything and they are there for me. Talia and I have been pretty much inseparable and have become incredibly close. She is a best friend and a sister rolled into one. The staff here are all so friendly and I have made friends with all of them, we chat so often that I don't have time to feel lonely. I have at times felt bored though, which is why I am sitting here in front of a computer about to start my online nursing course.

For the first two months Talia and Kitty totally immersed me in their world, I don't think I've ever shopped so much, Talia adored clothes and loved altering what she bought to make it unique, she will have an amazing fashion line one day. I tried to help her with some designs and come up with some of my own but we soon learnt that it definitely was not a talent of mine!! Kitty would take me to all her charity lunches that she went to and although I did enjoy getting dressed up and obviously the funds they raised helped I didn't feel like sitting around eating lunch was enough to help people. I really wanted to help underprivileged kids and families that were struggling any way I could. Reading about the lack of health care professionals that worked in free clinics and the demand for free health care reminded me how much I actually wanted to train as a nurse and now I had the opportunity to. So after speaking to Byron he agreed to help me, we decided that I would do my first introductory course online and he had gifted me a fancy new laptop to use that could also turn into a tablet. They also turned one of the rooms into an office for me, it had pale stone colour walls, not too far off white. There was a massive window on one wall with a built in window seat so the room was very bright. I had a wooden black desk and desk chair as I loved the dark contrast with a matching black bookshelf that Byron had already filled up with nursing books for me. The carpet was thick and soft and it was a slightly darker stone than the walls but would probably still be considered light and I also had a fancy bluetooth printer on my desk for any assignments I needed to print out. I had a TV on the wall, a reclining sofa and a blue tooth speaker for music, Talia had shown me how to play music from my phone and laptop. The rest of the room had bean bags and cushions in lots of different bold bright colours and I had many beautiful paintings hung on the wall, bright colours always made me feel happy. The room they had given me also had a balcony attached to it so if I wanted I could sit and study in the sunshine. I had dark grey wooden garden furniture with white pillows a hammock and a swing that was big enough to lay on. Kitty had put flower pots around the edges to give it some colour and a wonderful smell.

Hours passed without me realising as I was so engrossed in what I was reading, the sound of my phone taking my attention away from the screen. It was a text from Heather checking if we were still on for lunch tomorrow, I had been meeting up with her at least once a week in these last few months and we had become such close friends.

The sound of my stomach growling made me check the time and I realised it was nearly dinner, we didn't bother dressing up anymore they had only done that when I first came. I turned off the laptop and light and made my way to the dining room still in leggings and an oversized hoody.

"Brooke!" I suddenly heard my name yelled at me and was caught in a bone crushing hug. I had no idea who was currently manhandling me but their intentions seemed good. After being put down I turned to see Zac in the kitchen. Zac had been really kind to me over the last few months and often came to check on me to see if I was doing OK. He was Tates best friend so he knew what was going on and he always seemed to lighten the mood whenever he was here.

Talia walked in the kitchen looking stunning, her make up was flawless and she had straightened her hair so it flowed smoothly down her back. She had on a bright red mini dress with matching skyscraper heels. The dress was tight showing off her figure with a low v neck at the front showing off her cleavage. The halter top tied at her neck leaving her back exposed completely as the bottom of the dress only just covered her bum. She looked gorgeous but I had never seen her look so provocative. She had turned 17 last month and since then something seemed to be bothering her but she wouldn't tell me and just brushed it off whenever I asked.

"Where the hell are you going dressed like that?" Zac asked her, his playful demeanour gone. "I'm going to a party with Henry and some friends, not that it's any of your business!" She coldly replied. Henry was the 18 year old grandson that Talia had been sat next to at the fundraiser. They had become good friends since that night much to the dismay of Tate and Zac. I was surprised at Talia's attitude towards Zac recently as they used to be really close. "No you're not, not dressed like that go and put some clothes on!" Zac demanded raising his voice a little, even I was a little miffed at the way he just spoke to her but before I could say anything Talia was quick to reply. "Excuse me?! Who the hell do you think you are, you have no right to speak to me like that! I am not a little kid anymore Zac and you sure as hell aren't my dad, or my brother for that matter. You are nothing to me Zac!" Her voice got louder by the end of her mini rant. Zacs face fell at her words but quickly hardened as he stormed out of the room. Talias face dropped slightly and a flash of guilt crossed her features. I was about to ask what that was all about but was interrupted by the doorbell. Talia yelled bye as she left to go enjoy her evening.

I was stood in the kitchen alone still a bit stunned by what had just happened when I heard Zac telling Tate about what Talia had been wearing and how he was worried about her. My heart softened a bit towards Zac then, as his outburst was obviously from a place of concern but that still didn't give him the right to talk to her like that.

Tate looked at me as he walked in a look of surprise on his face to see me. "Where is she?" He demanded with his signature scowl back on his face. "She went out" I replied. "You let her go?" He raised his voice to me which got on my nerves. I barely see him and he just talks to me like I'm trash. "I didn't let her do anything it's not up to me to tell her what she can and can't do or wear, I am not your sisters keeper and neither are you two. She has her own mind and makes her own decisions. Don't you dare come in here and demand things from me and you" I turned to look at Zac pointing my finger in his direction "Don't ever speak to her like that again." I turned and walked towards the door. I had got my license recently and had got myself a nice little car with the allowance that I got being Tates wife. I decided to go for dinner by myself at a quiet restaurant I had discovered where there were no paparazzi and people never recognised me. "Looks like you're both in the dog house!" I heard Byron chuckle to Tate and Zac as I left the house.

I ate my spaghetti bolognaise in contemplative silence thinking about everything that had happened since my uncle had sold me. After the fundraiser Tate had confused me greatly, every time I thought we made a little bit of progress he always reverted back to his cold self. I was beginning to believe he was the world's best actor and nothing he said or did when we were in public was real. But it felt so real. The sincerity in his eyes. The way he looked at my lips, I was sure he wanted to kiss me, that it wasn't just an act. That night was one of the best nights of my life, we had danced and laughed and talked and the things he had said to me made me feel beautiful. The longing in his eyes, it was there I'm sure of it but his actions at home proved otherwise. I didn't know what to think. Well I did, I needed to get over it and remember it was just an act and let my heart stop trying to convince me otherwise. It had to be my heart seeing things that weren't there because it was so desperate for love. Rationally I knew he felt nothing for me, that he was an arrogant prick who was a talented actor. So inonce again made the decision to forget about him and move on with my life. Hopefully I'd stick to it this time!!

Authors Note

Bit of a filler chapter. Will hopefully get another chapter out a bit quicker!! Sorry for the long waits in between chapters!!
Please comment and let me know what you think and don't forget to vote! 😁