27

I watch in horror as the two fight. "Stop!" I scream. The ignore me. Cato blocks Bin's spear with his sword and swings at him. Bin isn't fast enough, and Cato's sword stabs him in the side. I gasp and grab my side in knowing of his pain. Which would hurt more? A sword or a beak?

"No," I whisper. Bin's face fills with pain once Cato pulls his sword out of him, twisting it cruley to cause no damage to the weapon. Cato jerks his arm and swings at Bin who quickly rolls out of the way. Clutching his side, Bin thrusts his spear at Cato's chest with all of his strength. Cato drops his sword and grabs the weapon. Bin and Cato stand, forcing the spear towards each other, several times the spear head piercing Cato's chest.

My attention turns elswere for the moment, I heard something. It sounded like a platform. I look behind me and see President Paylor rising from the ground. "Stop!" she screams. I hear the clank of metal behind me as Bin and Cato drop the spear on the sword but I don't look away from Paylor. I am filled with rage, literally shaking with it. How dare she enter here?! She sentenced us to death! A sly grin spreads across my face. She's in the arena. Why wouldn't a sad, crazy girl kill her huh? She's just another threat needing to be taken out!

"The hov-" is all she manages to say before I tackle her to the ground. I grab her shoulders and repeatedly hit her head on the hard dirt.

"You sent me here! You sent me here to die!" I scream. I see some blood flowing from the back of her head from a small rock, and I smile. Someone throws themselves on top of me, and pins me down. I panic at first, then realize that it is Cato. "Let me go!" I yell at him. He picks my struggling self up, faces me towards Bin, and holds me still. I watch as several large men take an limp Bin away, on to a hovercraft.

"Calm down!" Cato growls. I panic, what is he doing!? Why is he holding me like this? Where are they taking Bin?

"Let go of me Cato!" I cry. Two man help Paylor onto the ship, she is wobbling uncontrollably from her possible cuncussion. The door closes and the ship takes off without us, Cato turns me around and looks at me, then hugs me.

"This was all just an act. A way for me to get out of the arena. The sword lessons, the crying, everything. Paylor has chosen me, being from Two, to be the victor and not Bin. They got footage of him being stabbed and that will make a great dying clip," he whispers in my ear, while embracing me tightly. "The cameras turned off while Paylor was here, and they are on now. The Capitol will most likely turn Bin into a peacekeeper or something. You will pretend you saw him die, and you will pretend you still think that I love you. Or you will die for blowing the Capitol's secret plans for strong tributes. Understood?"

"I can't believe you tricked me," I say, fighting back tears.

"Do you understand?" he says more forcefully. I nod my head numbly. Cato allows me to separate from him and I find myself looking towards the direction they took Bin.

"Bin," I choke, "He, he's gone." the tears I was fighting flood from my eyes and I fall to my knees. Cato walks over to me and hugs me. I shiver because I know this is a fake gesture. I can't believe what is going on. Cato has faked his love for me all along. Bin is being taken, forced to become something he hates. Or worse. Maybe they will turn him into a mutt or something! I start crying even more.

"Time to go," Cato says softly. I look up and a hovercraft is flying over us. I seem immobilized with sadness. Maybe it's just that my loss of blood from the attacking birds is catching up with me. Maybe it really is the sadness. I just bow my head and cry more. Cato scoops me up and carries me to a ladder that freezes us while we are pulled up. I am looking down and I can see the blood falling from my side, and the tears from my eyes. I can feel the blood from Cato's chest through his shirt. Then there are hands. A lot of them. Some are concerned about Cato, but most are grabbing me. Taking me from Cato. I am taken to a hospital table, someone injects a needle into my arm and everything is black.