Prologue

This is the first chapter (its the prologue haha) and it is sort of boring... so please don't judge this chapter and be like "Oh, this is boring so I don't want to read on..." well, please don't give up on me! Please please please....! I can hopefully get a new chapter in a few days. This is mostly just telling you who everyone is, and what is going to happen... the next chapter will be better...  (:

*******************************************************************************

All of the adults my parent's age and older all tell me that they are great. That my parents are the ones that changed it all. That Panem used to be a dark place that you couldn't even speak what was on your mind. They told me that the people of District Twelve would be more likely to starve to death than live to be sixty. They say my parents both survived two of the horrible Hunger Games, but my father was capture and tortured, and that is why he is the way he is. They tell me that my parents, are indeed, the reason such dark times are over. They were the cause of the Rebellion.

My name is Ariel Mellark, the daughter of Peeta and Katniss Mellark. I live in District Twelve. I love to hunt.

I lift up my bow, placing the arrow in place. I pull back on the string focusing on the little rabbit across the small river in front of me. It is only me, the woods, and this rabbit. Nothing else exists. Not my mother, not Bin, not anything. I release and the arrow flies, flies straight threw the rabbit's eye.

"Good job hun. Lets go get it." My mom, Katniss tells me.

I laugh a little. "Mom, its not like I have never shot a rabbit before. I have been shooting sense I was nine." I am seventeen now, that gives me a good eight years to learn and practice. I am far better than my mom and uncle Gale were at my age.

We run across the water and scoop up the rabbit, I put it in our game bag. "I wanna shoot a turkey. I promised Bin one." I tell my mom. Bin is my best friend, and has been for as long as I can remember. His parents own the District to District moving Co. His name, Bin, makes me laugh.

"Alright, then we better get to finding one. They arn't the easiest thing to find. I used to sell them to the head peacekeeper when I was your age. Then one day he was replaced and Gale got whipped." She frowns at the memory.

I smile at her and we get moving. Usually Bin and I hunt, and my mom and Gale hunt together. Gale came home a few years ago. I am trying to teach Bin to shoot, but he is a lot better with a spear or a knife, and it turns out I am very good at making both. Bin isn't hunting with me, and Gale isn't hunting with my mom, because they are both out and about shopping, doing who knows what at the moment.

We search for a while, ignoring the rabbits and squirrels, because we only have room for one more animal in our game bag, and that spot is reserved for a wild turkey. When we finally find one, it is hiding from us behind a log. I hear it's gobble gobble and I laugh. "Great way to stay hidden." My mom jokes. I nod and quickly shoot the thing. My mom stuffs it in the game bag and we start heading home.

When we reach the gate, we dig for a little while. My mom had a dream a few months ago. It was about President Snow's children powering over Panem and turning on the fences. We have been working on a hole just in case something does happen. Someone like my mom and me could easily fit through the hole without even getting close to touching the fence, but someone like Bin or Gale. No. They are both so tall and muscular, there is no way they could. So we keep digging.

When we finish we cover the hole with our usual branches and leaves and go to town. The first place we go is to Greasy Sae's old place. The black market, although not illegal anymore, is back in business. It has been for a while. Greasy Sae died of a heart attack four years ago, and now her daughter, Keeslie, runs the soup station.