Chapter 8

Deva squinted her eyes open even though they felt sore like the rest of her body. What did she do, run a marathon? Her gaze shifted around the room and found the people she held most dear looking at her with concern.

"Deva," Marcus was first to break the quiet atmosphere.

"Hey," she spoke weakly. Her mouth was strangely dry.

Julia moved closer to the bed with a cup of water to bring to Deva's lips. The liquid ran down her throat like a soothing medicine.

"How are you feeling?" Julia asked placing the cup down.

Deva raised her hand to her still throbbing head. "Okay."

"Why didn't you tell us?" Julia's voice sounded angry catching Deva off guard. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"Tell you what Juls?"

"That you have cancer." Deva was shocked with no words to say back so Julia continued. "Adamarius told us everything. He saved you by awaking the lycan inside of you. Deva, why didn't you tell me?"

Deva closed her eyes because she felt all of their wondering eyes staring at her. "I didn't mean to keep it a secret from you. I promise. It just happened. I found out a week before we were brought here."

"So that was your secret?" She heard Marcus reply from beside her.

"Yes. I have cancer and I didn't want you all to know." She opened her eyes again and found Lucian at the end of her bed.

She wanted to smile because he was finally back but couldn't bring herself to do so. "Especially after Lucian told me that people with cancer only have a 50/50 chance of surviving a vampire transformation. I'm sorry Loosh. I didn't mean to hurt you by keeping my secret. I didn't mean to hurt anyone."

"So that's why you drink so much?" Darius was dumbfounded for not seeing the picture sooner.

"Yes." It was the reason for many things including the way she acted towards them. She didn't care if they wanted her there or not she figured she was going to die anyway.

"That is the reason you wanted to go home so badly. You wanted to see your family one last time." Izzy questioned.

"Yes."

"You should have told me Deva. I would have...I would have..." Julia tried to start but Deva cut her off.

"There was nothing you could do. Julia I didn't want you to act differently towards me."

Marcus took Deva's hand in his own. "Well you're fine now. Adam woke up your lycan blood which in turn ate all your cancer cells. Your blood is now ten times stronger and active."

Deva nodded and rested her head back onto the pillow. A sudden exhaustion hit her like a ton of bricks.

"Where is Marius?"

"He stepped out. He figured you wouldn't be too happy to see him."

Deva laughed to herself. The mutt knew her well. "Dang!" She shouted randomly.

Every person in the room moved closer to her. "Deva what's wrong? Does it hurt?"

"No."

"What is it?" Izzy asked curiously.

"I guess I can't call the guy mutt anymore or crack anymore jokes about his doggy ways."

"Yes let's add another dog to the equation." The King expressed his disdain for Deva's new metamorphosis.

They had left Deva's room so that she could rest in peace and continued their conversation in the study room.

"They're probably more loyal than the backstabbing leeches we have in parliament." Izzy's sarcastic comeback was meant to offend.