Chapter 7

Deva shuttered awake. This nightmare was more vivid than the others. They were getting worse each night and she didn't know how to stop them. She didn't feel like telling anyone about them. Was it stupid or childish to still have nightmares?

It was like they all started off the same, with Deva running frantically through the woods. It was always something hunting her. This time it was a lycan. 

She didn't know why she was having them but she knew something was wrong. Something was off and it was scaring her. Deva couldn't shake off the stupid feeling but she knew of a way to dull it from her memory. 

It was dark. No one was out or about the castle. Deva made it discreetly to the secret liquor cabinet without being seen. She easily drowned a bottle of whiskey like it was nothing but water.  

She was tired of the same scene. Deva had to get out of the castle's prison like walls. They were starting to feel like a cell, caging her in. She needed to get out before she went insane. 

Somehow she found it extremely easy to dodge the guards. In no time she stole Marcus' motorcycle and was zooming down the deserted roads. The alcohol was gradually making its effects on her but not at the level she wanted. Deva wanted to forget her own name by the end of the night. 

She wanted to stop thinking about Darius. Deva wanted to stop worrying about Adamarius and his manipulative pull on everyone else. She wanted to stop stressing over ruling a vampire kingdom. She wanted to stop thinking completely. 

There was nothing familiar about the town. She was never out of the castle long enough to actually explore the city. The real night life started at the center of downtown. Club after club and bar after bar were packed with random crowds. 

Deva parked near a bar that didn't look as crowded. She didn't like waiting in lines. She threw her black hoodie over her long curls. If anyone recognized her as the princess she was screwed.  

The tall dark and intimating bouncer gave her the once over before letting her in. Deva went straight for the bar. The bartender was a tan gorgeous blond that immediately took her order. 

"What can I get for you, beautiful human?" 

Deva flirted back with a smile. "I want a bottle of your strongest liquor." 

The bartender raised his brow. "I'm not so sure you can handle it."

"You heard me vampire. I was taken to this world where I had my heart torn out and stomped on by the man I love. Then to top it all off I now have a dog riding up my ass like a disgusting tick." Deva leaned in closer for a dramatic ending. "I need that bottle so I can forget what their faces look like. So that I can forget I was even born." 

There was no doubting or arguing with the seriousness in her voice. The bartender turned away and came back with a full bottle of dark liquor. 

"Thank you." Deva pulled the cap off and scorched it down. It felt like fire but good fire that was going to burn her memories. That was all she wanted. 

After a while she got tired of watching slutty girls rubbing and grinding against desperate men. It was a distasteful sight that was blurring by the second. 

She was thankful the effects of the alcohol were finally kicking in. Deva wasn't sure how much more she could take of the pounding. Eventually everything began to move in slow motion. 

Deva grabbed her almost empty bottle and walked out of the bar. The rays from the moon where lighting up the streets making it easier to see the faces in the crowds.

Some were watching her with curious stares while others didn't even acknowledge her presence. They treated her like a speck of dust. 

They were vampires. How could she lead or rule vampires? It was ridiculous. She was nothing but food in their eyes. How was she supposed to rule over them?