↦Chapter 5: The Family Reunion

"I thought I might find you here" said Tony to Alex while keeping his eyes on a royal chair lying from a few metres away from the large family table.

"I'm sure Mr. Le Bail is with us today" he continued while staring at the empty chair.

"So, how much have you told her?" he asked.

"Nothing. And I never will" replied Alex.

While the father and the son were having a conversation together, Grace was spending her time exploring the beauty of the grand house by glaring at the huge paintings, textures and chandeliers.

"Tomorrow we're gone" said Alex.

"If she pulls that card, are you prepared to do what's necessary?"

Alex stared at his father when he sighed and left the conversation, all upset.

Grace wandered around the house when she entered the grand music room where Steven  was playing the "Here comes the bride" song on the piano.

"Excuse me, whatever you wanna say, get on with it, please" said a woman over the phone to Becky. It was a voicemail.

"You better hurry your ass up and get here before midnight. Call me when you get this message" whispered Becky on the phone.

Grace was busy looking around her surroundings when Becky walked towards her:

"Grace, darling"

"Oh hi" she smiled.

"Your vows were beautiful"

"Oh. Thank you"

Becky placed her hand on Grace's shoulder and they both slowly trudged together while chatting:

"Alex didn't tell us you were brought up in foster homes. Not that he tells us anything these days. Champagne?" She pointed to the female maid, Clara, who was carrying a plate of glasses.

"Oh thank you. Thanks" Grace took one.

Daniel was sitting on the couch a few meters away from them, busy drinking his beer when he adjusted his hand to look at the time on his watch.

"My foster parents were great people. And you know, they did what they could. But it was always temporary. I always sort of dreamed of having a...a family" Grace explained to Becky as they both sat on the sofa.

"I mean, I'm sure, Alex would've loved living in sin forever" she said.

"I don't doubt it" chuckled Becky.

"But he, um, he really understood how important it was for me to..." Grace looked at her mother-in law when she continued:

"To finally have a real, permanent family. And I just..don't wanna let you down" her tone was serious.

"Grace. When I first saw you, I said to Tony: Finally. One of our children has brought home a good one" smiled Becky.

"And you don't know how grateful we are that you brought Alex back to us" she continued while Grace kept her silence and stared at her.

"But please...try to bring him back into that fold. We are his family"

"I promise" said Grace.

"Oh sweetheart. I know you would" and Becky gently hugged Grace who chuckled back.

Suddenly, Alex made his entry and the moment he saw Grace and his mother hugging each other, he became worried and rushed to them.

"Hey" he interrupted them.