Chapter 11

AI JONGHYUN's POV

I don't think I still can understand human emotions as I still get confused by it even though I am not in a learning institution. It should help me, but it does, only by a little. I do not know why that is though. Or maybe, emotions are not simple and they are very complex. Here in college, my experience so far is great because knowing that in this era, they have been accepting us for so long now that even real humans get married with people like me who turned into a person eventually.

The reason why I am studying medicine is because I want to be of help, mainly for Y/N, but for other people as well and music because, well, they intrigue me so much and because Y/N had told me that I have to try learning music once in my life and so, I am now. Waiting for her here in the cafe makes me feel nervous that my hands are starting to feel cold, so I wrap my hands around the cup of what I have ordered to keep them warm. As I wait for her to arrive, I try to observe how people behave here inside the cafe and try to imagine what I would do or say if I am there with them or if I am in their shoes, but eventually, I get bored of it and I stare at myself on the reflection on the window. It is still hard for me to believe that I am a real thing now and in no time, I will be a real human being. That is, if I can keep Y/N beside me long enough for my system to change.

Hearing her voice in the cafe does make me feel more at ease, and my nervousness is at its peak. I know, it is very contradicting-both feelings, but this is what I was talking about earlier. How emotions are just so complex that I probably am wasting my time trying to understand every possible combination. At the corner of my eye, I can see her reflection and that is when I turn around as she starts walking towards me with her head low.

"Hey Y/N! I'm here!" I wave at her and when I see her, she starts crying. I don't know why, but I remember seeing her making this face before when she got accepted at her internship job a few months before. Y/N told me those tears were her 'tears of joy' and so I believe it is what she is feeling right now as well.

"What's wrong?" I instinctively ask her as I grow more concerned because she just stares at me although I already offered her a seat beside me and her coffee that I had ordered.

"I'm just so happy to finally get to see you like this."

"Me too, but do you have to cry like that?" She keeps her head low and eventually, she puts her head on the table. I try to get a glance at her face, so I look down to see her crying, but she tries to calm herself down.

"Is something bothering you?" She shakes her head. I caress her hair to make her feel better and to my surprise, it does work. Y/N lifts her head up, takes a deep breath, and smiles at me.

"I've been waiting for you for so long."

"Well, you did tell me-"

"I know. I regret it now." She smiles, looking forward as she drinks her cup of coffee.

For some time, we chat about mostly myself and how my life is transitioning pretty well from being a body-less robot, now walking just like the rest of my kind here with people. Throughout our chat, she begins to be amazed at how good my motor skills are in addition to my knowledge about almost everything that I am interested in and what I have been learning so far in campus. But minutes later, she starts to be shy around me, so I ask her, but she just tells me that she does not really tend to be really close with guys and I remember her saying this during our chat sessions before.

"Well, Jonghyun, what kind of person do you want to be?"

"I have told you before. You forgot?"

"I'm not like you, remember?" She chuckles a little.