Chapter 30- A Happy Family

For the last time, enjoy!

Chapter 30- A Happy Family

The social workers were all gone by the end of the day. Mary was the first to leave. It seemed like she was in a hurry to get going as fast as possible. Amanda and Helen were the last to depart. They wanted to go over the very few conditions they had to let Fudge stay. Luckily, there weren't many. Just that humans needed to keep coming through on a regular basis and Fudge especially had contact with humans and preferably one she felt comfortable around when she hit puberty.

"I'm sure you'll do a fine job of raising her as a human rather than a car", Amanda assured them. "Because you have for six years now. There are just some things I think Fudge would need humans to teach her. Still, not enough for her to be taken away from here."

"And apart from that, we have absolutely no concerns that she's getting the best possible care here", Helen added with a smile, thinking, once again of her own hometown, which was a lot like Radiator Springs.

Everyone agreed that they could live with the conditions given to them. They would've agreed to just about anything if it meant that their Fudgie could stay.

Then even Helen and Amanda were gone, leaving the citizens of Radiator Springs smiling briefly at each other and watching the sunset over Route 66. As the two dark shadows of a human and a forklift faded away, they were happy beyond words that there wasn't an extra shadow of a little girl- their little girl- beside them.

"Well, Fudgie", Luigi announced when the sky turned darker, breaking the content silence that had engulfed them while they watched the sunset. "I think it is time we went home. You still need a bath and it has been a big day." He paused dramatically. "And we have another big day tomorrow... Do you know what tomorrow is?"

"My birthday!" she yelled.

Luigi smiled and kissed her. "That is right. And Papà wants Fudgie to be all nice and clean for her special day, so..." The Fiat picked her up. "Let's get you in the bath."

"Okay!" she agreed.

There were no nightmares for Fudge that night. For the first time in a long time, she and her fathers all got a good night's sleep. The human girl awoke early the next day. Boy, was it a day to celebrate! It was her birthday! Plus, she got to spend it in Radiator Springs with her family! There was nothing she could think of to make this day even better. Nothing!

"Happy birthday, Fudge!" Luigi greeted her, entering her bedroom only a couple of seconds after she woke up.

Guido was right behind him. "(Happy birthday, Fudgie!)" he added.

Fudge smiled. "Grazie!"

"Are you ready to go, Fudge?"

"Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!" she cheered, grinning from ear to ear. It was an unofficial tradition for Fudge to come over to Flo's in her pyjamas on her birthday and she is later dressed into her new clothes that she has received as presents.

"There she is!" the others yelled when the two Italians appeared with their daughter.

"Hey! Happy birthday, Fudge-O!"

"Happy birthday, Fudge!"

Fudge beamed. "Thank you!" she cried. "I'm six today! Six years old! That's this many!" She held up six fingers.

"Yeah. You need two hands to count your age now, chica!" Ramone remarked.

Fudge nodded. "Soon, I'll need three hands to count my age!" Then she looked at her hands. "But I only have two."