Chapter 12- Ferraris, Customers and a Lot of Trouble

"Grazie, Fudge!" Luigi thanked his daughter as he took some tyres from her. "You have been a very big help, baby."

Fudge smiled broadly. "Really?!" She had wanted to help her fathers get all of the tyres back that had gone all over town the night before and put them back where they belonged. It always made her happy when she was told she'd done a good job.

Luigi returned the smile, nodding. "Yes." He gave her a kiss. "Why don't you go and play now? But be careful. The road is not safe."

She nodded. "Okay!" She ran inside and retrieved her soccer ball. The ball was yellow with a blue ring around it and a red star.

Fudge knew not to play soccer in the street anyway, so the road not being safe didn't have much of an impact on her. Occasionally, she would have to cross the street partway (carefully) to get her ball when it rolled away from her.

Soon, she decided to go over to the delinquent road hazard, who was reluctantly pulling Bessie, the road paving machine, down Main Street and ignoring Mater rambling on about anything and everything.

It had been a few hours since Doc's decision had been reached. The race car had been introduced to Bessie, but when Mater removed his parking boot to hook him up, he was out of there. He tore out of town, eager to pretend that it had all been a bad dream. However, he had no idea that Sheriff had siphoned his gas the night before. So, he ran out and, unfortunately for him, his escape attempt had failed miserably. Mater had to tow him back to Bessie against his will. However, Fudge missed all of that. She'd been busy getting cleaned up from her accident.

Now, looking around at the town, this guy was the only thing out of the ordinary. Sarge, Sheriff and Fillmore were at Flo's. Red was watering the flowers outside Casa Della Tires. Luigi and Guido were arguing over the placement of the tyre displays.

"Hi!" Fudge called to the race car cheerfully.

"What do you want, Fudge?"

"Just saying hi."

"Okay, hi. Now, leave me alone."

"Hi, Mater!" Fudge jumped up and down.

"Howdy, Fudge!" the tow truck returned her greeting.

"I got my ball!" She held it up. "Wanna play?"

"Sure!" he agreed.

"You ready?" Fudge dropped the ball on the ground and kicked it to him.

"You know, I used to be a purty good whistler", Mater informed the race car as he and Fudge kicked the ball back and forth. "I can't do it now, of course, on account of sometimes, I get fluid built up in my engine block, but Doc said he's gonna fix it. Oh, he can fix jus' 'bout anythin'. That's why we made him the judge. Boy, you shoulda heard me on 'Giddy-up, Oom Papa Mow-Mow'. Now, I'm not one to brag, but people come purty far to see me get low on the Mow-Mow."

Fudge had also been talking to the mysterious newcomer. She'd just been quoting stuff she'd heard on TV and movies that made absolutely no sense and he couldn't help but wonder if she was insane.

The racer was ignoring both of them, but got some of the tarmac from Bessie splashed all over his lightning bolt sticker.

"Oh, man!" he groaned. "That's just great!"

"Hey, what's wrong?" Mater questioned, abandoning his game with Fudge to talk to him.

"My lucky sticker's all dirty!" he complained.