Chapter 28- Return of the Social Workers

Dun dun dun! They're back! The social workers are back! How is this gonna go? Read on and find out!

Chapter 28- Return of the Social Workers

They came on June thirteenth, three days before Fudge's sixth birthday. Nobody expected their return so soon and, immediately, feared the worst.

Sheriff was the first one to notice their arrival. He had been just outside of town on patrol when he spotted a familiar pale pink car with a familiar sour expression rolling in the direction of the town. She was accompanied by several people, all of whom Sheriff recognised. There was Kevin Fairchild, that timid white forklift. Amanda Jacobson, the human woman, who was head of ACAFCA for the entire state of Arizona. She was dressed in a sleek, black jacket, matching skirt, a lacy white blouse and the same red heels she'd worn the first time Sheriff had encountered her. Plus, she carried a black briefcase. Then there was Helen, Amanda's assistant, the yellow forklift with the pink glasses.

Sheriff approached the group. "Welcome to Radiator Springs", he greeted them, trying to be polite about it. "Here to see Luigi and Guido?"

"Well, we don't really have any business with them", Mary replied, sounding rather bored. "All we really need is for Brittney to be packed up and ready to go by the end of the week."

"Mary", Amanda stopped her. The human woman turned back to Sheriff. "Yes. Yes we are. I believe we have a lot to talk about."

Sheriff looked nervous, but nodded. "All right. I'll let 'em know you've arrived."

Like everyone else, Luigi and Guido had been at Flo's and their eyes widened when Sheriff pulled them aside to inform them of their arrival.

"Oh, no!" Luigi cried. "Not now!"

"What's goin' on?" Doc wondered.

Luigi turned to his daughter and his tow truck friend. "Mater? I think Fudge is bored. Why don't you take her to go and play?"

"Okay!" both tow truck and human agreed, running off.

"The social workers are back already", Sheriff announced, waiting for Fudge to be out of earshot, but also not waiting for anybody to ask.

Needless to say, they were all less than thrilled by this announcement, even Lightning.

"But her birthday's not for another three days", Ramone pointed out, not that they needed reminding. "Is it good or bad that they're here already?"

Nobody had any idea.

The social workers appeared just then.

"Luigi? Guido?" Amanda began seriously.

Luigi's eyes filled with tears. "We think we know where this is going."

"Well, if you think we're gonna look around to see how the town has changed since getting back on the map, you'd be right."

Luigi couldn't believe it. "What?!"

"Well", Amanda explained with a smile, "it's obvious a lot of changes have occurred here recently. No point in taking Brittney away if we're happy with what we see."

"What will happen to her if you are not?" Luigi wondered.

"Well", Mary piped up, "we don't think it is appropriate to send her to live with her biological family. She will spend some time in the orphanage in Wisconsin. Eventually, she may have to be placed into the foster system."

Meanwhile, Mater led Fudge out of the town.

"Where are we going, Mater?" she wondered.

"You'll see!" he assured her. "We is gonna have some fun to cheer you up!"