Chapter 16- The Fabulous Hudson Hornet (Part 2)

By the time the next morning rolled around, Fudge was in a better mood than she had been for a long time. There were no nightmares that night (allowing Guido and Luigi to feel very relieved). She'd forgotten about leaving Radiator Springs. Plus she'd gotten promised a helicopter ride. That alone was enough to make a five-year-old happy. In fact, it was hard for her to keep still as her fathers tried to dress her in a plain white short-sleeved T-shirt and denim short overalls.

"Hi, everyone!" Fudge called out happily.

"Hey, kiddo!" Sheriff returned her cheerful greeting when he arrived at Flo's after a check-up at Doc's. "You seem happier than you were last night."

Fudge nodded. "Yeah! Lightning promised he'd get me and Mater a ride in a helicopter!"

"Yeah!" Mater piped up excitedly. "He done said we could ride in his fancy heli-copters whenever we want!"

Everyone who was there (which was everyone except Lightning, Doc, Sally and Ramone) had the same reaction to that news as Luigi, Guido and Sally had had. They were not sure if Lightning was genuine about that. Still, like Guido and Luigi, they didn't want to upset her by telling her that.

"Well", Sheriff responded finally, "that sure does sound excitin', kiddo."

Fudge nodded in agreement. "I can't wait!"

"Neither can I!" Mater added.

Things were silent for a moment before Fillmore brought up something with Sarge.

"You know, some automotive yoga could really lower your RPMs, man", the hippie van informed him casually.

"Oh, take a car wash, hippie!" Sarge shot back, disgusted.

"Yeah! Look at my husband, y'all!" Flo called out abruptly as Ramone arrived at the café, painted bright yellow. "Whoo! That's your colour!"

"Yellow, baby!"

"Mmm! You smoking hot!" Flo declared.

"Wow! You look good!" Fudge added. "I like yellow."

Ramone grinned. "Thanks, chica. And I think I know why you like yellow."

"Papà!" Fudge announced, giggling and hugging said Fiat's tyre.

Luigi smiled and gave her a kiss.

"There he is!" Sheriff announced as Lightning came zooming up to Flo's.

"Oh, my gosh!" the race car exclaimed breathlessly. His next words came out in a big rush. "Did you know Doc is a famous race car?!"

Silence. Then laughter.

"Doc?" Sheriff repeated. "Our Doc?"

"Not Doc Hudson", Sarge added.

"No, no, no, no, it's true!" Lightning insisted. "He's a real racing legend! He's The Fabulous Hudson Hornet!"

"Fabulous?" Flo repeated. "I've never seen Doc drive more than twenty miles an hour. I mean, have you ever seen him race?"

"No, but I wish I could've", Lightning sighed. Knowing nobody was really convinced, he kept talking. "They say he was amazing! He won three Piston Cups!"

Mater spat out his drink of oil. "He did what in his cup?!"

"I think the heat's startin' to get to the boy!" Sheriff remarked.

"Well, I'll say!" Lizzie agreed. "Look how red he is!"

"But he's always been red", Fudge informed the Model T, puzzled. She shook her head. "Silly Lizzie."