Definitely Remorse

Ember's P.O.V

I woke up wrapped in Ashton's arms, I didn't want to get up it was warm and cozy.

Realization hit me like a ton of bricks. I got out of his arms and lap and looked at his arms. They were severely burned, and they had only been wrapped around my waist lightly. I didn't want to think of the damage to his upper body since I was leaning on him. I quickly gathered some firewood and used my "power" to start it. I walked into the woods and located the chest that I had left here last time I came. It was on the north most end, just a few minutes to get there.

I pulled out a random cloak and some healing cream. Slipping through the shadows and avoiding predators and made my way back to Ashton. I didn't know if I should wait for him to wake up to apply the cream or just apply it now. I chewed on the inside of my cheek. If I didn't apply it soon it would lead to permanent damage and scars. For the first time in forever, I was actually worried. I sat down in front of him and tentatively took his arm in my hand. This was a bad idea, I'll probably end up burning him more. I cursed under my breath. I took some of the cream and put it on my hands.

maybe you won't burn him through the cream.

Again I took his arm and gently applied the cream. I noticed that he had started sweating and wondered if I should put the fire out, but when he woke with a start I realized he was just having a nightmare. I finished one arm and continued on to the other one.

"What are you doing princess?" Ashton's asked with a raspy voice

I didn't reply right away instead I tried to from the right response on my head. Finally, I spoke up

"Keeping a demon in your arms for more than an hour is a bad idea. You have bad burns on your arms, torso, chest, and neck. Luckily, there isn't serious damage on your lower body. The side of your thighs might sting, but that should be all." I wasn't lying. I could've cooked him alive for all I know. Honestly, I don't remember how we got here, but judging by his burns, I'm going to assume that he carried me. I was thankful I was, -As thankful as a demon can be- that he had flown me here, but not of that meant that he would get hurt. I have no idea what's going on with me. Here I am supposed to be a heartless demon spawn. Yet I'm treating wounds that others would have just left alone. Is this what remorse and sadness feel like?

"Yes, that is what those feelings are, and although you might think otherwise, they are important to have. Believe it or not, he cares about you. Please make an effort to be kind to him. After all, he did save your life." A gentle voice called out.

"Um Ashton you're going to um... you have to take your shirt off, I need to put some cream on there too" I stammered. Not sure why, but I did. He removed his shirt and I gasped. It was worse than I thought, he skin was peeling off and puss was coming out of it. I wanted to hug him and say I'm sorry a thousand times. The only thing that kept me from doing that is the fact that I would only make the damage worse.

I walked back into the forest and towards the chest. I threw useless things over my shoulder until I finally found what I had been looking for. I ran back to where Ashton was only slowing to a walk when I was coming into view. I sat down in front of him. I ran my hand over his chest, making sure not to touch him and make things worse.

"See what you cause. He likes you, yet you hurt him. You're worthless and you will never have happiness in your life because you will hurt them. If you want to make him happy I suggest that you stay away from him" My father's words broke through. For the first time since I had become a demon, I hated it. I put the cream on, my father's voice still ringing loudly in my head. I wrapped the gauze around his chest and stomach.

"Ignore your bitter father, you will be happy. I can see that you're already different from most demons. You're showing feelings and you can change for him. Just take little steps at a time. Don't rush anything and think to yourself 'is this the right thing to do' I know that you can do it. I believe in you." The kinder of the voices interjected. That's when an idea popped into my head. I could go with Ashton to Heaven and ask to be given a trial to become an angel. I know that whatever they had me do wouldn't be as bad as what I went through in Hell.

Nothing ever would be

"I'm sorry Ashton, you should've let the think take me instead of burning yourself trying to carry me back." I mumbled, "I'm sorry" I kissed him on the cheek and walked back into the woods, planning on how I'm going to put this plan into action.