Chapter 7~Finnick

Once everyone from the Capitol leaves District 4 it's finally safe to see Annie again. When I enter her house the next morning I find her asleep on the couch. She must be having a rare good dream because her lips are curled up in a slight smile.

I place a blanket over her and sit down at the end of the couch where her head barely reaches. I decide to just wait for her to wake up and turn the tv on which is showing, no surprise, more clips of Katniss and Peeta. I know that they're the victors but people seem borderline obsessed with them.

I'm watching a rerun of their final interview when I feel Annie stir next to me. She sits up and stretches while making a sound that sounds like a whale's mating call. I laugh in amusement and that's when Annie notices me.

"Finn!" She jumps across the couch and wraps her arms around my neck.

"Hey Annie," I greet. I nuzzle her nose a bit before leaving a quick kiss on her lips.

"What are you doing here?" She asks.

"Duh, I missed you," I say. That should've been obvious.

Annie smiles and leaves a peck on my cheek. "Well I missed you, too. There were no problems this time."

I nod with a relieved expression. Thank god. Annie seemed fine at the banquet and might have even enjoyed herself a little. She notices the television which is showing more footage from the tour. Apparently Katniss and Peeta are now in District 8.

"Aren't they cute?" Annie asks with a lazy grin.

Cute? All I see is them making out and holding hands like they always do. "I guess so," I answer unsurely. They're cute if you enjoy over the top PDA.

"I'm happy they found love from their situation. They're sort of like us," Annie muses.

I stare at Annie in bewilderment. Katniss and Peeta aren't in love and they're definitely not like the two of us. What Annie and I have is real and true, not that act they're putting up.

I shake my head. "They're not in love. Well Peeta obviously is. I feel bad for him. She can never match what he feels for her."

Annie looks at the screen with a pensive expression. She's quiet for a while, and I call her name but she doesn't answer. I just lean back against the couch playing with Annie's fingers while I wait for her to come back.

"No I think she loves him. She just doesn't know it yet," Annie says still staring blankly at the tv.

The sound of the front door opening causes her to snap from her reverie and we both turn to see who it is.

"Mags!" Annie exclaims before standing up to give her a hug.

"Good morning," Mags greets happily.

"Nice to see you again Finnick."

"Hey Mags!" I say. I wrap my arm around her and Annie's shoulders. "Now I'm finally reunited with my two ladies."

"Oh Finnick it's only eight and you're already cracking jokes," Mags teases.

I wink flirtatiously. "You know me."

Mags hits me up the side of the head. I pout at her as she and Annie laugh and begin making breakfast.

***

Life is good again, but I don't know for how much longer. Tensions are rising and they're rising quickly. The stunt Katniss pulled in the arena didn't go unmissed by the districts and they definitely didn't see it as an act of love. They saw it as an act of defiance which is what it was in all its entirety.