Chapter 8~Annie

Finnick and I have been working on the details of our wedding every day. We also worked on the hammock and rug every time Dad went out. We finished it two weeks ago. After he went to bed Finnick and I laid it out and slept in the living room so that we could see Dad's reaction first thing in the morning.

"What the--?" we heard Dad exclaim. The two of us woke up groggily, but I instantly perked up when I saw Dad staring at the rug in wonder.

"Surprise!" I yelled. "We finally replaced that ugly thing you hated."

"You sure did. It's beautiful. Where did you get it?" he asked as he bent down to get a closer look. It was made with light blue, white, and black rope and woven to make a seascape.

"We made it," I answered and laughed a bit at Dad's shocked face.

"There's more," Finnick said.

I nodded enthusiastically and pulled Dad up. Finnick pulled back the patio curtains and with a flourish of my hand I presented the hammock.

"Your very own spot for relaxation!"

"I made that," Finnick said proudly as he pointed at his creation. He was having trouble at first but I guided his hands until he got it.

"Wow guys. This is amazing. But what's the occasion?" Dad asked.

I shrugged. "Just cause. It's just a few small things to show how much we love you. You're always there for us."

Dad looked between me and Finnick who just nodded with a smile. "What she said."

Dad's eyes teared up a bit. "I love you guys, too." He pulled me in for a hug, and I buried my face in his chest. "Get in here Finnick!"

Finnick smiled as Dad wrapped his other arm around him. That was a good day, like all the other days in the past few months. The rug added a bright splash of color and many nights we'd all cram together on the hammock talking under the stars.

However today is more solemn. It's the day the Quarter Quell will be announced. It doesn't affect us but it's hard to ignore the heavy sense of foreboding blanketing the district.

"I can't believe they're actually going to reveal Katniss' wedding dress tonight. The Capitol must be having a field day, more death with a touch of festivity," Finnick says sarcastically.

"I can't believe they're getting married. They're so young," I say. Finnick and I have been together for years and we only started thinking about marriage recently. Katniss and Peeta are barely seventeen.

"That's what happens when you're the Capitol's sweethearts," Finnick scoffs with a sour expression. I get why he's pissed. They get what we've wanted for ages just because the Capitol wants them to.

I open my mouth to say something but Mags interrupts. "That's enough guys," she says with an amused smile. She knows that I still feel that Katniss and Peeta love each other while Finnick believes the exact opposite.

The anthem begins playing and we fall silent as we turn to the tv. President Snow takes the stage. Finnick stiffens and I place my hand on his. He lets out a breath and wraps an arm around my shoulder.

Snow goes on to explain the Quarter Quell and summarizes the other two. Then he summons a small boy to the center of the stage. He approaches with a wooden box in his hands. I squeeze Finnick's hand, feeling bad for whoever will be stuck in these games with these extra cruel rules.

President Snow opens the gold envelope, and his lips curl up in a cruel smile. "On the seventy-fifth anniversary, as a reminder to the rebels that not even the strongest among them can overcome the power of the Capitol, the male and female tributes will be reaped from their existing pool of victors."