Chapter 21~Finnick

I throw the phone on to the floor, not able to take the droning of the dial tone. Even though Annie wasn't saying anything, I didn't feel alone. But hearing that infuriating drawn out sound reminds me that I'm here and she's there and I have no one.

This is the first time I came here alone, and it's been terrible. I've always at least had Mags to talk to when things became too much. Now it's just me and two tributes I'll give everything to keep alive but still fail. I have a hard time when the tributes have been training and are well cut for the games. This year they're two skinny kids barely over the age of fifteen. They hardly stand a chance even with the Careers.

A knock sounds at the door and I flinch. My heart begins to hammer and my hands instantly begin to sweat. I take two calming breaths. This isn't anything you've never done before. It's just another night in the Capitol.

I keep repeating those words as I walk over to the door and open it. The door opens to reveal a Capitol girl with purple hair five shades too bright and makeup ten times too thick. She smiles a sickening smile and saunters in on five inch heels.

"Hello handsome," she drawls in her Capitol accent. She traces her finger across my chest as she walks by me.

I automatically smile and have to hold my breath to avoid choking on her perfume. I shut the door and take a deep breath to brace myself.

"You calling someone?" the girl asks as she holds the phone between her long fingernails.

I grab it and throw it to the other side of the room. "Nothing you need to worry about."

"Good." The girl smirks at me before knocking me on to the bed and crawling on top of me. She traces my jawline with her finger.

I close my eyes tightly and work to steady my breathing. I can get through this. And with that thought I shut off my mind and just do what I have to do.

***

After two more weeks of grueling mentoring and sleepless nights spent as a slave to my circumstance, District 1 is the winner. The girl, Calypso, was left with an especially worthy opponent from District 7. Personally I was rooting for the boy from Seven. I think he deserves it more. He was smart, but District 1 always has the most sponsors. But maybe he also knew death may not be so bad.

I'm happy someone won though. That means I only have to go to the celebratory banquet and then I can finally go back home. The banquet isn't unlike the dozens I've been to over the years. The food is just as mouthwatering, the people just as shallow, and me just as bored.

I dance with girl after girl making sure to avoid being impaled by heels. I don't know why they bother wearing such ghastly shoes. They can't be comfortable. Annie can testify. She said they're like little clamps slowly crushing your feet. That's probably why she always wears sandals.

"Excuse me. I'm going to go get a drink," I tell the girl I've been dancing with. I give her a boyish smirk and turn away. I sway a bit since I'm a little dizzy from her 'perfume.'

I down the glass of champagne in my hands and three more glasses of punch after that. An Avox takes my glasses and hurries away. I'm just about to find a secluded spot by the side when I feel an arm go around my shoulder. I immediately tense as I catch the scent of blood and roses.

"Hello Finnick," President Snow drawls with a sneer.

"President," I nod politely with a stiff smile. I'm sure it comes out more like a grimace. It's all I can manage whenever he's near.

"Would you come with me to chat?" he asks. However the look in his cold eyes tells me otherwise. It's not a request.

I look around at the partygoers. A dance with a Capitol girl doesn't seem so bad right now. "And miss this wonderful party?" I question.

"It'll only be for a second," Snow responds. I can see he's losing his patience humoring me.

"Then lead the way."

Snow guides us through the crowds who look at the two of us with curiosity. A cameraman stops us for a second and we stand together for a couple of pictures before Snow sends the man away. We continue through his spacious mansion and out a side door that leads to the gardens. When we're far enough that the music and light from the party begin to dim, I throw President Snow's arm off of me.

"What do you want?" I ask scathingly.

Snow feigns disapproval at my tone and shakes his head. "I just want to know how you're doing. Come walk with me."

Snow begins walking deeper into his garden and I have no choice but to follow him. Under different circumstances I would actually enjoy it here. The garden is pretty remarkable. The stone path we're walking is lined by tall trees that make it feel like I'm walking through a passage to a secret garden. There are all sorts of flowers that glow darkly under the night sky.

However Snow is taking me to a more sinister part of his garden. The trees and flowers never lose their mystical quality but what begins to appear is something that should never exist in nature. It's like a zoo full of abominations. Snow's own personal set of pets.

In cages along the path are animals of all sorts. Some look beautiful like the small birds with multicolored feathers rising in intricate patterns or the regal looking tiger with teeth so sharp they end in pinpoints. But I know that none of these things are what they seem. They all hold deadly weapons underneath their appearances, copying the man himself.

We pass by reptilian creatures with tongues curling around themselves and deadly sea creatures that appeared in previous games. As we walk down the pathways of his own personal zoo, Snow makes small talk.

"What's been going on in your life, Finnick? There must be something interesting. After all you're a Victor," Snow says.

"Nothing," I respond stiffly. I don't know what Snow wants with me out here but it can't be good.

"Love life?" Snow asks.

My heart begins beating erratically, but I force myself to keep calm. "No."

Snow nods slowly as we continue our stroll. He turns his head and smiles coldly at me. "That's good. The people in the Capitol would be heartbroken and things will fall apart. Being with a taken man is never good for business."

Snow finally comes to a stop in front of one cage. I pause a good distance away and look inside. There are about ten birds fluttering inside with black feathers with just a hint of white at the tips.

"I always loved jabberjays for their uncanny ability to mimic sounds," Snow says. Then he sneers. "It's remarkable how far they can fly."

My heart skips a beat before thumping twice as fast. I feel my face pale and my breath catch in my throat. Annie wasn't lying that night. She did hear my voice luring her out to sea.

I clench my fists tightly by my sides. Snow sent a jabberjay out so that Annie would swim into the ocean and die. He did all of that just so that I would remain his pawn, helpless to fight back.

"Imagine if word got out that the famous Finnick Odair finally found his love and something were to happen. Now wouldn't that be tragic?"

I don't respond since if I do I may not be able to stop myself from killing Snow right here. Now wouldn't that be tragic?

"Have a good night. And say hello to Annie for me. She's a sweet girl," President Snow says with a smug smile before he walks into the night.

I stay there standing in front of the jabberjays clawing at the bars of the cage. They keep repeating Snow's words so that they're bouncing around in my head.

Finnick Odair finally found his love...

She's a sweet girl...

Something were to happen...

Now wouldn't that be tragic?

Annie, Annie, Annie

Imagine...

Wouldn't that be tragic?

A yell of fury and agony escapes my mouth as I slam angrily on the cage. The cacophonous chorus breaks apart into angry squeals as the birds fly back. I turn to run away but I'm trapped. There's no ocean to get lost in. Just a maze of deceit and deception.