Chapter 3~Annie

The sea is a mesmerizing thing. Some days it can be calm and hypnotizing. It lures you in with its gentle touch. Other days it's a destructive force with no mercy. I had known it in both ways, yet I loved it all the same. Now the only emotion its depths evoke is fear.

In my dream I'm drifting along its surface, staring up and the ever changing sky. Suddenly it turns from a soft pink to a menacing dark gray. Clouds roll in and thunder sounds. The waves begin to turn violent as they push me around, threaten to bring me under.

I scream as a giant wave sweeps me down. I thrash and panic until I hear my name being called, soft and welcoming, pulling me towards it. It's coming from below me. I squint into the darkness and hear my name again, louder this time.

"Annie, Annie," it calls. I see a small pinprick of light. I reach my hand out to it. As soon as my finger touches it I'm pulled down violently.

I lurch awake and look around frantically. I struggle to lift my stiff and shivering body. I look around groggily and see that I'm lying on the beach, a good distance from the water. I can't believe I fell asleep and have been here the whole night.

I hear my name being called again. I look over and see Dad come over the sand dunes. He stops short and then begins running once he spots me. He's still in the clothes he was wearing the day before and looks like he hasn't slept. Dad kneels in front of me and hugs me tightly before looking at me in exasperation.

"Annie I told you to not stay out long! I was looking for you half the night," he says.

I don't respond. I just turn back to the ocean and stare at its ebbs and flows. I hear Dad sigh sadly behind me. He leans down and I feel myself being lifted as he carries me home.

Weeks passed in the same manner and instances like that were no longer uncommon. Frequently I would wake up screaming from a nightmare. Then I'd leave and wander around most of the day.

People stopped trying to say hello. Even Belle no longer tried to start a conversation. I guess she grew tired of me trailing off in the middle of my sentences and staring off into space for long periods of time. People think that when that happens, I don't hear or see them. I do, but I don't end up remembering until they're gone and I'm alone. One way or another it always comes back.

So I wasn't ignorant about the rumors that I lost it. That I was crazy. I wanted to deny it all, but I wasn't sure if I could. After all what they were saying made sense. I definitely felt unhinged. I didn't even know what to do with myself anymore.

My only consolation was my family. Dad and Luke stuck by me no matter what everyone else said. Luke would frequently get into fights whenever I go into town with him. He said he won't stand people talking about me like that. I tell him not to make an issue. That it doesn't bother me, but I'm grateful. I think he's braver than me.

I can tell Dad isn't having an easy time taking care of me. I try to make it easier for him, but I'm not doing a very good job. Whenever I get lost, I forget about what I tell myself. Despite everything, he never gets mad at me. He looks tired and drained, but never angry.

He and Luke say they're never going to leave me. I want to believe them, and most days I do. But there's this other part of me waiting for the day when they realize none of it is worth it.

One day Luke came in with a bruise blooming on his cheek. Dad was shocked. "Luke what happened to your face? Did you get into a fight?"

I watched from the living room as Dad handed him a bundle of ice that Luke placed gingerly to his cheek. He nodded and Dad groaned.

"Luke," he began to scold but was quickly interrupted.

"Dad I had to! Jerry called Annie crazy and he wouldn't stop even when I told him to," Luke said in his defense. Dad instantly went silent. He was stunned and didn't know what to say. I on the other hand felt guilty. Luke was only eleven and shouldn't have to deal with any of that.