Chapter 19~Finnick

"Have I mentioned today how lucky I am to be in love with you?"--anonymous

***
Annie and I become a couple but we keep it quiet so no news of our relationship gets to the Capitol. Snow never specifically specified that I can't have a girlfriend but I have a feeling he may not be too happy with the news. I think it's better to be safe than sorry.

I don't even know what made me ask Annie to be my girlfriend. Sure I've thought about it for a while now but I never intended on asking her just yet. Life just seemed too complicated. But something about the way she looked at me that night I got back just made me want her more than I ever have. So before I knew what I was doing, I blurted out the question. Annie looked just as surprised as I did but she also seemed just as happy.

We went on a date every week on top of hanging out everyday. I actually had a lot of them planned already from the days when I'd mindlessly think of things to do if I ever fell in love. At the time I never thought they'd come true. My favorite hands down was the bonfire we had one night. We just sat by the fire talking and joking around while roasting marshmallows. Some days Mags, Mr. Cresta, and Luke would join us for the day and we'd all hang out.

Mags and Annie's family are the only people who know about us, but that's okay. That's all we want to tell anyway. Being in the Victor's Village gives us privacy so we don't have to worry about the prying eyes of the district. But whenever we're in town we're careful not to get too affectionate. Eyes are always on us and the last thing we need is to become district gossip and for it to reach the Capitol.

That's why six months later during the Victory Tour, I tell Annie that we need to keep our distance for the day. The winner from District 2 is coming and with her a lot of camera crew. I'm not sure if Annie understands the importance of keeping up this appearance but she agrees.

The day drags by slowly. It's hot and the sun is beating down relentlessly. I try to look attentive since I'm in the front and not exactly hidden from all of the cameras that pan over the crowd.

"Gretchen Darrow of District 2," the mayor introduces with a pompous wave of his hand.

Gretchen walks up on to stage. She looks as repulsive as always. I feel bad for her stylist. I doubt she looks good in anything. Considering this is the best the Capitol's technology could do, it's pretty bad. I can see her stylist tried to make a flattering dress but now Gretchen just looks like a boy forced into a tight green outfit.

Gretchen starts reciting this year's belittling Capitol made speech. I resist the urge to roll my eyes since cameras are still trained on me but I let a little groan of annoyance leave my lips. Mags, who is next to me, lightly slaps my hand. I straighten up but let my eyes scan the crowd. Eventually I find Annie in the middle a couple rows back. She looks just as bored as I am and a million times prettier than Gretchen will ever be. She's just in a simple white dress but she looks breathtaking.

Annie meets my eye and smiles slightly. She rolls her eyes at the droning speech, and I have to look down to hide my grin. Finally the ceremony ends but it just means the banquet is starting.

"Come on we have to go," Mags says in my ear. I nod and follow her reluctantly.

At least a dozen prestigious Capitol citizens tagged along on the tour. I spend most of the afternoon with them since they all seem eager to talk to me. I put up the show as always. I smile and join in their mindless conversations. Honestly I couldn't care less about the newest diet.

"Is that Annie Cresta?" one man asks.

I look behind my shoulder. I spot Annie standing alone in the middle of the crowd absently staring into space with a glass in her hand. I wonder where Mags went. Annie probably wandered away to get a drink and ended up zoning out there. I need to get her.