Chapter 18~Annie

"One day, we will never have to say goodbye, only goodnight"--anonymous

~~~

It's a bittersweet day in District 4. Most families are relieved they're safe for another year. Two just had their worlds turned upside down. Plus Finnick and Mags are leaving for the Capitol.

After the reaping I made my way over to the station to see Finnick off, but I stayed in the shadows since I didn't want to be seen. The two tributes were already inside. I didn't know their names and didn't bother finding out. There was a very good chance they wouldn't be coming back and knowing their names would just make everything more real.

I stared at the train for a while thinking how it brought me to a place I can never recover from. I'm broken and can't be fixed. I changed so much in a year and not exactly for the better.

A hand on my arm caused me to jump in surprise. I broke from my reverie to see Mags and Finnick standing there with sad smiles. They don't want to go back.

Without a word I wrapped my arms around Finnick and leaned my head against his chest. He kissed the top of my head as he tightened his arms around me. When we parted I looked up and saw Finnick's face only inches from mine.

"Remember what I said?" Finnick asked.

I nodded but he reminded me anyway. "It's only you and always will be you. Oh and I love you."

Finnick smirked playfully at me and I couldn't help but smile despite how sad I was feeling. The casual way he said he loves me got me feeling all mushy inside and made a blush blossom on my cheeks.

"I'm going to miss this," Finnick said as he brushed his fingers lightly across my face.

"I'm going to miss you so much," I told him as I buried my face in his strong chest again. Just being in his presence made me feel safe. "I love you."

Finnick's expression brightened at my words. He opened his mouth to respond but was interrupted by a shrill voice.

"Where are those two? We're going to be late! Mags! Finnick!" Renee shouted.

Finnick groaned in annoyance. His eyes were closed as he took a calming breath. "How I'm going to survive with her for a month I don't know."

Finnick was joking around to keep the mood light but I could tell he was just as devastated he was leaving as I was. I knew how hard it was for him to go back to the Capitol. I guess I could've asked to come along like he did for me but that would only complicate situations.

"As I recall you're an expert at blocking her out," I joked halfheartedly. Finnick laughed a bit. He had a remarkable talent for ignoring Renee. She could be screaming in his face and his expression wouldn't even change.

Renee shouted again sounding even more frantic than before. "God that woman," Finnick groaned. "We better go before she has a heart attack."

I nodded sadly. I looked into Finnick's face, trying to memorize every detail. The emerald glow of his eyes, the way the right corner of his lip was slightly raised, the loving expression he was giving me.

Finnick leaned down and left a soft, gentle kiss on my lips. "Don't forget I love you."

"I won't," I whispered back. I turned as I felt Mags' hand on my back. I mustered a smile and hugged her tightly.

"Stay strong," she murmured in my ear before breaking the hug and walking away with a sweet smile. She led Finnick away since he wasn't making a move to board the train.

I watched from the shadows as the distance between us grew. He kept looking back behind his shoulder the entire time, and when he got on the train he stayed right by the window and looked out to me.