Chapter 25~Annie

I have to admit what Finnick told me scared me. I was that much of a problem that President Snow tried to kill me and it didn't appear he had much trouble. The only thing that stopped him from succeeding was Finnick. He always seems to save me just in the nick of time.

Despite that little fear, I didn't see why Finnick and I should stop spending time with each other. Maybe I lost it completely. The logical reaction would be to push Finnick away rather than risk angering Snow. I guess any sense of logic I had left with the games because no one in their right mind would dare challenge the president.

However if I was afraid, Finnick was downright paranoid. Going swimming without him right next to me was out of the question. Then the first few days we started hanging out again we hardly stepped out of the house, and when we did, Finnick was too busy looking over his shoulder to talk. He hardly ever leaves my side. In the morning when I wake up he's usually sitting at the dining table, and he doesn't leave until I've gone to bed.

I don't really mind though. I love being with Finnick. It's easy and real. I don't have to pretend I'm fine with him when I would with Dad and Luke. Maybe because Finnick can tell I'm upset even if I'm hiding it.

I've noticed things about him too, like how he taps the inside of his palm whenever he's nervous. Over the past few weeks Finnick has been doing that nonstop. Dad told me to just give him time. Finnick's first instinct is to protect me and it's taking a lot to fight it. He's calm down considerably though since nothing has happened within the past few weeks. I'm just hoping things stay that way.

A light rapping on my door wakes me up from my deep slumber. I hear the door open but I still don't open my eyes. Maybe they'll go away.

"Hey little miss birthday girl! Rise and shine!" Finnick says happily. I feel the bed sink as he lies down next to me. His breath tickles my ear as he leaves a kiss on my temple. I can't help but smile, revealing that I'm awake.

"I saw that smile! Now come on!" Finnick says in an impatient tone.

I finally turn around so that my back is no longer to him. I pretend to glare at him. "Care to explain why you barged in and woke me up?" Finnick usually doesn't wake me up even if he's been waiting for hours.

"Because it's noon and if I didn't you'd sleep your birthday away," Finnick explains. "And it's a special one too. 20 years old is a big deal."

Finnick does have a point since it's a miracle I even lived to turn eighteen. I look at him and he's pretty much jumping up and down from excitement. He looks happier it's my birthday than I am. Him being this happy is already the best gift I could have gotten. It's like he's completely back to normal.

"Come on!" Finnick whines.

I give him an amused look as I sit down on my bed. Finnick pouts at me with wide puppy dog eyes, and I burst out laughing. "Fine I'm coming."

When we arrive in the living room I get why Finnick was so excited and eager. Dad, Luke, and Mags were all there and they all yelled surprise the moment I walk into the room. A shocked yelp escaped my list as I jumped back into Finnick.

He catches me in his arms and looks down at me. "Surprise," he says with a smirk.

Finnick's face is so close to me that I can the small scar by the corner of his eye. I can't seem to form coherent thoughts in the hold of his intense stare. Finally I open my mouth but all that comes out is, "Wow."

Finnick laughs and finally looks up. "I think she liked it," he announces to everyone.

"I believe she did," Dad agrees with an amused smile. "Now get over here Annie so I can give you a hug."