Annie~chapter 28 (version 2)

I sit next to Finnick holding his hand on the bed I'd hardly left since I got here. A week ago I was in Thirteen, on the breaking point and worried out of my mind. I was right. They were never killed and buried in the rubble of a building. They wouldn't go out that easily.

They were alive. No one knew where they were, but Haymitch did. He was Katniss' mentor and he knew that she was going after Snow, no doubt with everyone behind her. I almost collapsed right then. Finnick was going deeper into the Capitol with Snow hunting them closely, expecting nothing less than them dead.

The next moment I was no longer in Command. I was walking the maze like halls with Johanna guiding me slowly, trying to draw me from the place in my mind where I could pretend everything was fine.

"He's going to fight. He won't stop fighting," she told me. But that's all she could say. Not that he wouldn't die. Just that he wouldn't give up.

I wasn't sure if Finnick could beat the odds, not again after he's done it so many times. But somehow he did. He promised he would and he did.

I cried when I saw him. He looked so frail, his body riddled with countless injuries and wounds. But he was alive. The doctors weren't sure if he was going to live. But I knew.

I held his hand for the first time since we were apart. I felt the electric spark that always went through me at his touch and knew. Finnick would live.

Every day he grew stronger and every day I never left. I was in the Capitol, but I was with him and felt safe. I slept by his side and talked to him. I told Finnick about our son, how scared he made the both of us feel. Then I told him about the life we could finally have now that all of this was done. Finnick never said anything. He always laid there with his eyes closed, but I never felt so close to him.

I hear a knock on the door and a second later Johanna walks in. She nods her head at me in greeting and sits down in the chair next to Finnick's bed.

"Anything?" Johanna asks.

I shake my head and stretch out my back. My stomach is getting huge. In a little less than two months everything is going to be different.

"Nope," I tell her. "But I think he's going to wake up soon. How's everyone else?"

Johanna came with me to the Capitol and has been giving me updates every day. "Everyone is still out. Cressida and Pollux were released earlier today. They're still trying Snow for who knows what reason. Everyone knows they're going to kill him after everything he's done."

"Yeah," I say quietly. I like Johanna but I'm not a big fan of her bluntness. It can be a little too much sometimes. "But that's good for Cressida and Pollux."

"Yeah. Well I'm going to go. Tell me if sleeping beauty here ever wakes up," Johanna says.

She pats his shoulder and I crack a smile. "You'll be the first to know."

Johanna nods in approval and waves as she leaves the room. I walk around and stretch my legs for a bit before settling myself back next to Finnick. I lie down and soon I'm drifting off to sleep.

A moan wakes me from my slumber. I feel movement next to me. In my sleep riddled mind it takes me a moment to realize what's happening. But when it registers, I bolt up in my seat and look at Finnick excitedly. His hand shifts in mine and he groans again.

"Finnick?" I call. My voice is shaking with anticipation. "Finnick, love, can you hear me?"

Finnick swallows and shifts and slowly his eyes blink open. My heart skips a beat at finally seeing their vibrant green I haven't seen in too long. A laugh escapes my lips and I give Finnick a quick hug.