Chapter 4~Finnick

She is delightfully chaotic; a beautiful mess. Loving her is a splendid adventure--anonymous

~~~

Finally after a month in the Capitol we're back in District 4. I'm happy I'm home, but it's always a solemn day. Madi and I left with two teenagers hoping against hope that one would return, and now we come back with nothing but a memory.

The worst part is seeing the families. Every time I see them they look at me, silently asking me what more I could have done to save their child, asking me if it's my fault they're not here today. Then there's that hint of hate because I beat the odds and lived. Unfortunately there's no way around it. It's just another thing I have to live with.

"Bye Finnick. I'll see you around," Madi says. She gives me a quick hug and gets in the car waiting for her.

I could've asked a car to meet me here too but I like walking back to the village. Being out in the sea breeze with the sound of waves in the background helps calm the torrent of emotions inside of me.

I start the walk back and begin quickening my pace. I can't wait to see Annie. I talked to her almost every day but it's different holding her and seeing her smile.

I see Annie's house in the distance. I speed walk but then that begins to take too long. I start to jog and then run. I pull to a stop and walk up the steps to her door. The door is unlocked as usual and I push it open excitedly.

"Welcome home!"

I stop suddenly in the landing area and instinctively step back in a defensive stance. I hear laughter and I open my eyes. I feel them widen as I look around.

"Whoa," I whisper.

There's a big banner in the living room with the words 'Welcome home Finnick!' written in Annie's handwriting. There are also flower arrangements everywhere that I recognize Stacey's touch in.

I'm still looking around slightly dazed when someone crashes into me. I take a step back to catch myself and look down at Annie's radiant face.

"Hey Finn," she says with a wide smile.

"Hey Annie," I greet back. I feel the corners of my lips lifting into a smile for the first time in a month. "How's my fiancé?"

"Perfect now." Annie goes on her tip toes and kisses me gently. I can't seem to stop smiling. I missed her so much.

"You like your surprise?" she asks.

I nod. "Definitely, but why did I get a party this time?" I ask her as I hug her and say hello to Mags, Luke, and Mr. Cresta.

"Well, Mags pointed out we haven't had an engagement party and she suggested we do it when you get home as a combined celebration."

"It's time we celebrated something," Mags says with a motherly smile. However her expression contains a hint of sadness.

"Great idea," I say quietly.

The party is great, as fun as always since everyone I love is here. However it can't stop the fear and sadness from creeping in. Loving people is both a blessing and a curse. It makes me feel like I belong somewhere but there's always this looming fear that they'll be taken away from me.

Plus no matter what I do I can't help but think this is all temporary or that I don't deserve any of this. Everything I've become is just so fresh in my mind after I come back from the Capitol that I can't seem to separate myself from that stranger. I just feel lost like I'm drifting out at sea.

"You okay?" Annie asks. She's lying down on the couch with her head in my lap. She looks up and touches my cheek lightly.

"Yeah, it's just been a long month," I answer. It's the first time I've been able to let my guard down and the trip is beginning to catch up to me.